Black powder guys, dont laugh... I just Ided this...DUH lol

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Black powder guys, don't laugh... I just Id'ed this...DUH lol

Went back yesterday very late to where I found my oldest ever relic, 5 minutes from home.

Did not expect much at this, the most obvious big cellar/barn, mill and 2 dams site, in this area.

Found a crumpled up thin decorative brass "home furnishing décor", ... Today, I was bored, and Just a few minutes ago, straightened it out and aligned the broken piece. then I noticed the tree was upside down...and as soon as I turned it around....duh...a powder flask piece.

How to you date these?

What was the rest of it?

Also, a thin brass squished tube that I found there last week, 40 feet away. It was a cylinder with no taper, no fancy etchings, and it is necked down to a flared end. Both ends are open, no threads, no tiny holes to hold something to it.

The site may have been in use to early 1900s maybe

Attachments

• DSCN0496.JPG
    DSCN0496.JPG
    403.1 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 6

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find congrats. It would of had a small lever that operated a slide valve and a tapered tube for pouring the powder.

OP
OP
CTwoods

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find congrats. It would of had a small lever that operated a slide valve and a tapered tube for pouring the powder.

Thanks on the lever valve. I will keep looking.

Something I found last week, 30 feet away from the flask. An upside-down domed chunk of lead that cooled in a tiny iron kettle. I was thinking it must be from making round balls, and now I know it was. There also was a broken 1700s Tombac button near there.

I like to see a site "come together" with additional finds. The easy big coppers were grabbed long ago on this site, but I honestly don't care.

Attachments

• DSCN0480.JPG
    DSCN0480.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 138

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your thin brass tube is an old shotgun shell. Nice job on your finds

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way to prove your lead piece was left over from casting round balls. It could just as easily be left over from casting fishing sinkers or lead toys. Dunno what the brass tube was, definitely not a shotgun shell. Looks like a great place to hunt!!

OP
OP
CTwoods

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No way to prove your lead piece was left over from casting round balls. It could just as easily be left over from casting fishing sinkers or lead toys. Dunno what the brass tube was, definitely not a shotgun shell. Looks like a great place to hunt!!

I'll try to get some pics of this site. You really have to see what is here in person, to get the same idea about casting roundballs. 450+ acre site. The town says no field on the other side, but I see some still showing WAY out in a 1934 aerial photo online.

Huge high dollar 3 sided barn foundation built into a hill, best I've seen on construction. Might be a later one as the operation grew. Older ramshackle barn? foundation just across the road on a dam site with big pond,(partly visible in pic 2 below) but I don't see a spillway to make mill power...but dam is covered in downed huge trees from a F1 tornado, (that also hit my home 5 minutes away)

Homesite cellar seems destroyed, I think I know where it was, right next to a small orchard. Also, the town says there is a sawmill site and wrecked dam out back that I have not walked to yet.

Town bought it 60 years ago for a walking park/open space deal. I found a burn pile (2) with bricks. Looks dumped or pushed by a bucket crawler. I think the town back then, burned whatever home remains that were still not rotted. I keep a clamrake in my car waiting for the piles to thaw so I will rake/scan. I found a broken Tombac in the top, before it froze. Some items in pile were not burned, so I keep dreaming :)

I think it was a very early home, added onto like most were, over time, and that is why I don't just go by the bricks (which would be later) versus stone chimney

EDIT, also note the size of the trees growing from the burnpile in pic one; that seems likely that this burn was 60 years ago when the town got the property.

Attachments

• DSCN0469.JPG
    DSCN0469.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0468.JPG
    DSCN0468.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor