chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know of a spot that is like pure black sand. It is about 20 yards X 100+ yards. It is an area that was strip mined yrs ago would this be worth panning out or hitting with a metal detector? Been trying to Pan throughout last few yrs with no luck finding anything.. trying to get help where can... P's: this area just dawned on me forgot about it

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it isn't previously run material? An area of 18000 sq. ft. of pure black sand sounds somewhat unnatural too me. What does the area look like?

Only thing you have to loose is time and I guess gas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure it isn't previously run material? An area of 18000 sq. ft. of pure black sand sounds somewhat unnatural too me. What does the area look like?

I have no idea what it is it's like a consistency of sand and is black. It holds animal tracks decently and usually always damp. You go up a hill to the black sand shelf then there is another high pretty much cliff side at the back.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This pic is from when it was being mined.. that darker strip between the 2 lighter ones in center is the strip I'm talking about Screenshot_2017-02-01-20-32-27_1.jpg .. I can't draw on pic for some reason

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok haha that's what I was thinking but it's just out there and didn't know. May get a bucket sample tomorrow. Gonna be cold 14℉. Wind chill

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Test with magnet - am curious if it is magnetite. What was mined here? The stratification of the materials do not look natural. Also would be helpful to see some photos from side angles to see how these beds lay out.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Test with magnet - am curious if it is magnetite. What was mined here? The stratification of the materials do not look natural. Also would be helpful to see some photos from side angles to see how these beds lay out.
I will try a magnet tomorrow and it was stripped for coal and I will try and get some pics but I have some snow so won't be as noticeably black but you will get the idea.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably any gold you may eventually find was deposited by receding glaciers. Maybe you have researched glaciation already but if not look here. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=glaciation+in+pennsylvania. Along with reports of past placer discoveries, it may give you a clue as to what areas to look in.

Good luck.

PS If what you are describing is magnetic black sand it is likely to be 50 mesh or smaller and if it is then it is best to pan in small quantities of much less than a pan full. Classifying before panning is also recommended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably any gold you may eventually find was deposited by receding glaciers. Maybe you have researched glaciation already but if not look here. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=glaciation+in+pennsylvania. Along with reports of past placer discoveries, it may give you a clue as to what areas to look in.

Good luck.

PS If what you are describing is magnetic black sand it is likely to be 50 mesh or smaller and if it is then it is best to pan in small quantities of much less than a pan full. Classifying before panning is also recommended.
Thanks!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
From the information given, I suspect that there was once a smelting operation there, and that all the slag was crushed and then run. As KenMitch said, that much black sand in one spot isn't natural.

Still, if this area was created a century or more ago, then there is a good chance there is still some value of PM's in the sands as recovery technology has come a long way since then, and especially over these past 10 years! Take a few random samples and have them assayed. Make sure the samples give a decent general picture of the entire pile. Also, do your assay on ALL metals, as in the old days, anything other than their target metal was often just cast out as waste.

Prior to all of this, do a bit of research on the location. Try to find out if any old smelting operations were there. You "might" be able to find enough info to tell you whether to assay the pile or not to bother.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the information given, I suspect that there was once a smelting operation there, and that all the slag was crushed and then run. As KenMitch said, that much black sand in one spot isn't natural.

Still, if this area was created a century or more ago, then there is a good chance there is still some value of PM's in the sands as recovery technology has come a long way since then, and especially over these past 10 years! Take a few random samples and have them assayed. Make sure the samples give a decent general picture of the entire pile. Also, do your assay on ALL metals, as in the old days, anything other than their target metal was often just cast out as waste.

Prior to all of this, do a bit of research on the location. Try to find out if any old smelting operations were there. You "might" be able to find enough info to tell you whether to assay the pile or not to bother.
I have old Aeriel photos from the 30's. I have done alot of research and haven't read anything on a smelting operation or seen any photos. I will try and get some pics here in a bit I'm on my way there

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMAG0575.jpg first hill
IMAG0576.jpg the ledge
IMAG0577.jpg IMAG0578.jpg IMAG0579.jpg IMAG0580.jpg

Give me your thoughts and it does not stick to magnet

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What?

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a bunch of those 1 gallon zip locks. Tag/Bag/Photo samples from different areas. Take them home and classify/pan/gold cube/multi sluice/whatever and record what you get from each location.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry missed the coal mine part. I was going to say I went to an old silver mine one time that had stuff that looked like that but didn't see it till after I posted. Couldn't figure out how to delete.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a bunch of those 1 gallon zip locks. Tag/Bag/Photo samples from different areas. Take them home and classify/pan/gold cube/multi sluice/whatever and record what you get from each location.
I got a half a bucket full that can see in pic. I did 2 pan's and it turned my water black and only thing left in Pan was like quarter sized globs. So I'm just wondering if it is ground up coal or something? I'm not an expert as in that's why I posted this to get an idea on if it would be worth my time to even mess with it.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry missed the coal mine part. I was going to say I went to an old silver mine one time that had stuff that looked like that but didn't see it till after I posted. Couldn't figure out how to delete.
O OK I was wondering haha did you find anything near your silver mine?

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If this was an old coal mining pit, these mounds could be coal mining waste dumps where the operator bulldozed waste off to sides of operations. The ultra-fine grain structure of what you are describing (and non-magnet property) that forms a sludge-like consistency when mixed with water also supports this theory. My best guess...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread