blade or something???

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Found this on Monday while trying out the new detector. It looks like it is made of copper ( a part of the patina has been scraped and it looks like a new penny at that scratch) and the part that slopes upwards looks as if it may have been sharpened (see second pic). Any ideas on what this is? Some kind of knife blade or maybe a older camping knife?
There is a person who cuts the grass by pulling the cutter behind the tractor he uses. It is a huge attachment so he can cut as much grass as possible in a shorter amount of time. I was thinking this may have been a blade from the mower, but don't think so. It is exactly 5 inches long when straight and 7/8 inch wide.

Thanks,

Funkman.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 250
Doc,

I had a feeling you would be the first to respond. You probably watch this board as much as I do.

Anyway, I have to research the collar styas to see if that is what it is. It is pretty heavy and the bend is not a purposeful bend (looks like it was bent accidently).

Funkman

Upvote 0
Doc,

The collar stay does look like it could be it. Saw pics of them and it is darn close, the only thing about this item is that it is a hard metal to bend. Never having used or seen a collar stay I do not knoiw how thick they are. Also the slope that forms the point is only one slope (I know that is a little confusing) whereas the collar stays have two slopes that form a point. The upper edge has no slope from the front to the back.

I know these aren't the greatest drawings but might give you a clue as to what I'm talking about.

Looking at it I do agree with the collar stay, but just finding confirmation, which I know I probably will not get.

Thanks,

Funkman

Upvote 0
sounds good to me. Maybe somebody sharpened it to make a blade. It defeinately has a sharpened edge to it on that slope.

Funkman

Upvote 0
Doc,

showed the item to a couple of co-workers (in late 50's) and they say it is way too big for a collar stay and also too heavy. Looking at this thing it would have went 1/4 of the way around a persons neck. Is that how they made them longa ago? (not trying to age you or anything).
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Funkman

Upvote 0
the only thing that pops in my head...and there are a lot of things that pop in my head.... is that we have had hunters in our area I'm sure for many years..Could it have been a hide scraper or something someone would have made for that purpose?

tag..your it!

Upvote 0
darn it....I'm going to lose this game.....have to see what others come up with and maybe this will help us determine what tha blazes this is.

BTW...I have not gone back to that prior site that I found the handle/ice skate blade/c-clamp thing from a prior post that we were going round robin with. Will get back eventually and see if any more parts turn up.

Funkman

Upvote 0
Very good Doc....you win a cookie...

Actually someone thought of a scraper. Could just be some peice of metal that someone improvised to do another job.

We may never know.

Funkman

Upvote 0
okay we are going off track here but do you mean the chips ahoy ones that have peanut butter cups in them also.....THOSE ARE FANTASTIC!!!!

Funkman

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back