Blair, Bedford, and Huntingdon

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I have done all my hunting in these counties, and have done a good bit of research too. But.... I'm always looking for a new lead. If you run across anything of interest I would appreciate it. A month or two ago I did recover a George II halfpence (1749) not far from where the Capt. Phillips Rangers Indian massacre took place.
Also looking for info on a 'Liberty Park' that was to be in the Fousetown/Mill Creek area of Huntingdon Co.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLAIR county............

1. In Altoona are the remains of an iron furnace built in 1811 and operated until 1884.

2. Fort Roberdeau was a Revolutionary War fort, located about one mile south of where Culp is today. The fort was built in 1778 to protect the Sinking Valley lead mines.

3. Assunepachia, a Delaware-Shawnee Indian village, was located east of Holidaysburg before 1748. A trading post was here as early as 1734.

4. Near Hollidaysburg are the ruins of several charcoal iron furnaces and forges built and used in the period between 1790 and 1850.

5. Etna Furnace was built in 1809 about a half mile east of where Yellow Springs is today. The firnace was used until 1877. The stack and some of the stone buildings still remain.

6. Ore Hill started when iron was discovered nearby, later a saw mill was built and operated until 1927. Nothing is left of the village today.

7. Reese and Canoe Creek were lumber camps in their heyday.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedford County...........

1. There is a legend that dates to the late 1800's of an old recluse burying over $100,000 on his farm in Oley Valley. The money was gold and silver coins.

Attachments

• Bedford County.jpg
    Bedford County.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 256
OP
OP
wainzoid

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Rich,

Thanx for the info. I have only hunted a few of the places mentioned, but was aware of most all of them. The civil war entrenchments at Loysburg was on my list to check out this winter. I just needs to warmup a little. The Loysburg gap is nothing but rocks....not a place to visit during the warm months.
Where did you find this info, might I ask? It mentions that Ore Hill and Schellsburg are ghost towns or nearly ghost towns, which isnt the case. I imagine Fort Roberdeau is off limits, its a replica fort/museum now. The area nearby might be possible.
thanx again

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.........the info was quoted from "A guide to treasure in Pennsylvania" by Michael Paul Henson. Sorry I don't have anything for Huntington County in this book. I do have other treasure books and leads, and if/when I get some time I will post them.................Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread