BLING...BLING...AND THEN MORE BLING AT EARLY 1900s HOMESTEAD

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is by far the best day ever for me...I've been very fortunate in the 10 years or so that I have devoted to this hobby. But, never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would be so lucky. Here's the story in abbreviated form. I don't wanna bore you all with all the details.

Several days before the day of the hunt, I had met a gentleman at a local book store while I was casually reading some material on metal detecting. Our conversations quickly changed and I soon found out that he owned several older homes in the area north of where I live out in the country away from the city. I almost didn't get up the nerve to ask but I went ahead and asked if he would mind if I came over one weekend to spend some time metal detecting. He was very nice and told me I could hunt his property anytime. I even offered to split anything of value that I did find. He said he didn't care about that at all. Boy was I pumped about that !!!

I arrived yesterday morning early at the entrance to the property which was gated but he told me I could have free run of the property. I was amazed to find most of the house still intact but was a bit spooked about entering the old house which I didn't do this trip. I concentrated my efforts to the outside of the house. I worked the front entrance of the house all the way out to the street which took several hours..and the only thing I had to show for it were the three balls (Musket balls ???) not sure what these are at all, but the two bigger ones are very heavy, the other is light in weight. I was really getting disappointed ..no coins at all which is what I had on my mind in hopes of finding. I worked back down the side of the house towards the back ..still nothing. I got to the rear of the house. There were several old fruit trees that had since died off, but were still standing. I worked the whole area from the back steps out to the edge of the old fruit trees. I had a very strong signal at the base of one of the trees and it measured 4 inches on my Garrett GTAx 1000 (I forgot to bring my Whites MXT with me ...drat drat drat) Anway, I dug down about 4 inches and started hitting pieces of plastic. I stopped and widened the hole around the area afraid I might damage what was in the hole not knowing what was there. Slowly I dug through all the plastic and saw a red pouch. Evidently the pouch had been wrapped ..I mean double triple wrapped with the plastic. Whoever buried it wanted to keep out everything I guess. Finally I got the red pouch out of the hole and it was a bit heavy. Then was when my heart skipped several beats. I prayed to myself please let this be good... LOL It's good I was alone or someone would have thought I was totally off the deep end. I opened the pouch which was in perfect condition and inside were all the rings. I sat down, took a deep breath and thought to myself...I gotta show these to the owner of the property. I can't in all honesty not say anything. I got back up and began to work the hole area again thinking maybe there may be something I missed...and surely there was...the last photo at the bottom was the final ring..loose in the bottom of the hole and covered with hard dirt...I decided then it was time to go. I'd had enough excitement for a lifetime.

I got home, showed the wife..of course the first thing she did was check to see if they would fit her fingers....too small...DRAT !!! LOL Anyway I called and got hold of the property owner ..his comment was ..did you find anything good ??? I said did I ever. The next day I went by his home and had to show him what I had found. He was truly amazed..I asked him how he wanted to split up all the rings..his comment ???? I don't want em ..you keep em !!!! That was the icing on the cake !!!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWW is all that came out of my mouth all the way home. I've got an open invitation anytime I want to come out to his property to hunt again. Wow, what an experience!!! I'm not a bit discouraged that the rings are missing some stones because I tested all the rings and all the stones are REAL !!!!! and the rings are gold.

Just wanted to share this with all of you. Hope all of you have a day like I had. It's truly an experience of a lifetime.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Attachments

• Rings1.jpg
    Rings1.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • MusketBalls???.jpg
    MusketBalls???.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Rings3.jpg
    Rings3.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Pouch.jpg
    Pouch.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Rings9.jpg
    Rings9.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Rings8.jpg
    Rings8.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,205
  • Rings6.jpg
    Rings6.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Rings5.jpg
    Rings5.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Rings4.jpg
    Rings4.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,224
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I definitely plan to return this weekend..and I still have the other property he offered to me that I haven't been to yet.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wow!! :o :o

Attachments

• dancing_figure.gif
    dancing_figure.gif
    67.2 KB · Views: 667
  • dancing_figure.gif
    dancing_figure.gif
    67.2 KB · Views: 662

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
bling blingage is always nice..........get er done

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RING CASH HUNTING!!LOL WOW

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
If a fake post about finding a cache of gold make the banner and this doesn't Ill be suprised. That is a fantastic find!!! Congratulations on a baner day indeed!
Anthony

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! :icon_king: You are Da Man! That is what we all search for, a virtual hand spill of rings. :thumbsup:

About the missing stones....., Perhaps the family that hid the jewels was going through hard times. Not selling the whole ring but just the stones, one here or one there, just as needed. Fully expecting to replace them later when things got better. You'll notice that the center stone remains of the three in the ring of the fine filigree. I'm sure that was a special one to whomever spirited it away. AND the fact that they were cached away, probably by the wife, so that only the hider could get to them. Something drastic must have happened to her to leave without them. We can only pray that some tragedy doesn't befall ourselves.

So, great find and keep us informed of what happens next. inquiring minds want to know!

Steve

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some awesome finds! keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
FANTASTIC BEAUTIFUL FIND!!
Congrats!! I would at least try to treat that guy to dinner or something.
What a beautiful person!!
Happy Hunting!

John

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan to offer him to dinner..if for anything else its the proper thing to do..he wouldn't take a split of the finds, and didn't want anything in return. hard to find people in this world like this anymore... thanks for the concern. Like they say..good things come back to those that give out. Hmmmmm are those the right words ??? LOL

P.S. I will take some photos on the next trip out this weekend.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Interesting finds. Was the Avon one in the bottom of the hole?? I would advise a very careful scan of that place, inside and out.
The balls look good to. You might find some good stuff (more than you have already found) there.

I ask on the Avon ring (not gold) due to if it was dumped in the bottom this may have been a stash of stolen material.

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered about that too !!! The AVON ring and the other rings don't date to the same period. I suspect perhaps a stolen stash :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions