Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I created this group for those interested in history to share information about the life and death of Bloody Bill Anderson and to help solve the mystery of whether or not the real Bloody Bill Anderson was killed in Missouri in October of 1864, by Union soldiers, or if he actually escaped to live out his life in Salt Creek in Brown County, Texas. Colonel William C. Anderson of Brown County admitted, in 1924, that he was in fact the real Bloody Bill Anderson of Quantrill's Guerrillas fame. I chose to start this group because it offers a way for us to share information, photographs, and links to online sources of data we can use to help us in our search for the truth. We can use the message board to ask questions and to post messages containing material we want to share with each other. Since this group was established in April of 2006, dozens of our members have provided evidence that historically proves that Colonel William C. Anderson of Brown County was Bloody Bill Anderson. We also provide a lot of information about the secret national organization - the Knights of the Golden Circle. I require that we treat each other with respect and do not make any personal attacks on other members. Those members whose sole intent is to disrupt and distract other members from the serious purpose of this group will be BANNED PERMANENTLY. My name is Jay Longley and my email address is [email protected] . I live in Brownwood in central Texas in Brown County.
IMPORTANT: ALL MEMBERS will be required to have at least partially completed Yahoo Profiles to remain in this group. This basic information must include your real first name, a working email address, and the state you live in.
SUMMARY OF PURPOSES - Members are encouraged to go to message #3405 for this outline of how our investigation is to proceed.
For an excellent 2-page article on our group's work, order the Feb. 24, 2008 Horizons issue of the Bulletin by calling:
Brownwood Bulletin - 325-641-3107

Join now at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

Rollie Taylor

Jun 6, 2010
Texas Jay said:
I created this group for those interested in history to share information about the life and death of Bloody Bill Anderson and to help solve the mystery of whether or not the real Bloody Bill Anderson was killed in Missouri in October of 1864, by Union soldiers, or if he actually escaped to live out his life in Salt Creek in Brown County, Texas. Colonel William C. Anderson of Brown County admitted, in 1924, that he was in fact the real Bloody Bill Anderson of Quantrill's Guerrillas fame. I chose to start this group because it offers a way for us to share information, photographs, and links to online sources of data we can use to help us in our search for the truth. We can use the message board to ask questions and to post messages containing material we want to share with each other. Since this group was established in April of 2006, dozens of our members have provided evidence that historically proves that Colonel William C. Anderson of Brown County was Bloody Bill Anderson. We also provide a lot of information about the secret national organization - the Knights of the Golden Circle. I require that we treat each other with respect and do not make any personal attacks on other members. Those members whose sole intent is to disrupt and distract other members from the serious purpose of this group will be BANNED PERMANENTLY. My name is Jay Longley and my email address is [email protected] . I live in Brownwood in central Texas in Brown County.
IMPORTANT: ALL MEMBERS will be required to have at least partially completed Yahoo Profiles to remain in this group. This basic information must include your real first name, a working email address, and the state you live in.
SUMMARY OF PURPOSES - Members are encouraged to go to message #3405 for this outline of how our investigation is to proceed.
For an excellent 2-page article on our group's work, order the Feb. 24, 2008 Horizons issue of the Bulletin by calling:

Surely you meant to say Uncle Billy claimed, not admitted, that he was the real "Bloody Bill". To admit implies that he was Bloody Bill. Since Bloody Bill was William T. Anderson, and Uncle Billy was William C. Anderson, he could only claim to be Bloody Bill. A brief time line of the lives of the two men named William Anderson is found at http://unclebilly.texas-heartland.com/2Williams.html

Rollie Taylor

Jun 6, 2010
Texas Jay said:
Excerpt from the Henry C. Fuller romantic version of history as he imagined it:
"Leaving Missouri, he rode southward and kept on riding, riding until
he reached what is now the State of Texas, and then he rode on and
on, intending to go to Mexico and locate there. By and by he reached
the lovely valley of Salt Creek, in what is now Brown County. Nobody
lived here then, and once in (a) while roving bands of Indians passed
through the country."

NOBODY LIVED THERE THEN???
Fact: Texas became a state 29 December 1845
Fact: Brown County was formed in 1856
Fact: My great-grandfather, Israel Clements, was tax assessor for Brown County before 1860.
Fact: 1860 census of Brown County recorded 244 citizens, no slaves.
Fact: My great-great-grandfather, Moses G. Anderson was the first county clerk of Brown County in the years before 1860.
Fact: William C. Anderson owned land near Salt Creek in Brown County in 1863.
Fact: The battle in which William T. "Bloody Bill" Anderson was killed occurred October 1864.

Statements in the Henry C. Fuller article attributed to William C. Anderson are hearsay. O R 52 and O R 52 supplement are official records describing the battle near Orrick in which William T. "Bloody Bill" Anderson was killed.

PaperTrails

Greenie
Jun 9, 2010
Rollie Taylor said:
Texas Jay said:

Surely you meant to say Uncle Billy claimed, not admitted, that he was the real "Bloody Bill". To admit implies that he was Bloody Bill. Since Bloody Bill was William T. Anderson, and Uncle Billy was William C. Anderson, he could only claim to be Bloody Bill. A brief time line of the lives of the two men named William Anderson is found at http://unclebilly.texas-heartland.com/2Williams.html
http://bloodybillanderson.webs.com
[/quote]Before arriving at the conclusion this interview proves William C Anderson of Brownwood TX was actually Bloody Bill, one must first conduct a reasonably exhaustive search for all pertinent information. This means locating several different sources for the same information, to give one the best chance at arriving at a well-researched, substantiated conclusion.
What those who read the interview need to do is locate and document different sources that will confirm the information gleaned from the 1924 newspaper interview, before they can say it proves William C Anderson was not William C Anderson, but William T Bloody Bill Anderson.
Without that search, and those sources, the newspaper interview gleanings are an unproven tale.

Fran Bolton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions