Silver and Gold Pendant

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
I finally got out for my first hunt of the year and found this pendant. On the back side it's, marked .925 AND 18K. There's also a makers mark which I haven't been able to find anywhere on the internet. On the side with the turquoise stone there are two knobs which are gold in color, so I'll assume those are the parts that are 18K but being so small are not worth more than a few cents. This item may well have been made by the Navajo people in the Southwest. If anyone can tell me what the hallmark is, or any other info about this piece, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Upvote 27

Treasure Hunting NM

Sep 10, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2146106 View attachment 2146107 I finally got out for my first hunt of the year and found this pendant. On the back side it's, marked .925 AND 18K. There's also a makers mark which I haven't been able to find anywhere on the internet. On the side with the turquoise stone there are two knobs which are gold in color, so I'll assume those are the parts that are 18K but being so small are not worth more than a few cents. This item may well have been made by the Navajo people in the Southwest. If anyone can tell me what the hallmark is, or any other info about this piece, I'd be happy to hear from you.
It's not Navaho or Native American. It's a evil eye. It's supposed to protect the wearer from evil spirits. I have found lots of them in different forms like bracelets, pendants, etc. You may want to keep looking for answers from the other Indians as far as India instead of native American Indians ;) I've found lots of different religious items related to their culture and there are lots of them. Cool find 😎

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not Navaho or Native American. It's a evil eye. It's supposed to protect the wearer from evil spirits. I have found lots of them in different forms like bracelets, pendants, etc. You may want to keep looking for answers from the other Indians as far as India instead of native American Indians ;) I've found lots of different religious items related to their culture and there are lots of them. Cool find 😎
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, it does look like an eye.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done finding the Evil Eye

Many outlets handle Samuel B Jewelry.
Here's an example very close to yours.
The style is a SE Asian jewelry.
The gold is a thin layer over the sterling (foil like)
This is done in jewelry making from Bali Indonesia.

Screenshot_20240429_070614_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. The maker mark looks like a stylised script ‘G’ but is actually a stylised script ‘S’ and it is indeed the mark for Samuel Benham (trading as ‘Samuel B’, founded in New York in the 1980s.)

Currently, they seem to use the marks ‘BJC’ or ‘B.J.’ (for Benham Jewelry Corporation or Benham Jewelry respectively), so I would guess this is an earlier piece.

https://samuelb.com/pages/our-story

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. The maker mark looks like a stylised script ‘G’ but is actually a stylised script ‘S’ and it is indeed the mark for Samuel Benham (trading as ‘Samuel B’, founded in New York in the 1980s.)

Currently, they seem to use the marks ‘BJC’ or ‘B.J.’ (for Benham Jewelry Corporation or Benham Jewelry respectively), so I would guess this is an earlier piece.

https://samuelb.com/pages/our-story
I was looking over their site this morning and it doesn't have the Evil Eye pendent listed.
Then again the quality of the work seems to have slipped somewhat as well. (pendants)
The gold leaf overlay was popular also in the 90's
I would say this piece has some age to it as well 20-30 yrs old

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done finding the Evil Eye

Many outlets handle Samuel B Jewelry.
Here's an example very close to yours.
The style is a SE Asian jewelry.
The gold is a thin layer over the sterling (foil like)
This is done in jewelry making from Bali Indonesia.

View attachment 2146163
Thanks for the info.......the one you posted is an exact duplicate of mine. Any idea how old these things are?

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clad2Silver, Congrat's on the Save of the pendant. Hope you are all doing well. Continued Success to you.
Thank you Kevin, and it's good to hear from you again. Sue and I are doing well and have just recently adopted two cats from a local shelter after our 15 y/o cat passed away in February from cancer. The cat in the foreground is Tabitha which Sue named and the long-haired cat in the background is Autumn, a name that I gave to her. Hopefully all is well with you.
IMG_1984.JPG

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking over their site this morning and it doesn't have the Evil Eye pendent listed.
Then again the quality of the work seems to have slipped somewhat as well. (pendants)
The gold leaf overlay was popular also in the 90's
I would say this piece has some age to it as well 20-30 yrs old
Thanks for the info. When I first looked at the maker's mark I thought it was a "G".

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ed, it's always great to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that both you and Sue are doing well. Those are two nice looking pals that you have adopted. Our daughter and her husband have just adopted two cats from the local shelter. The two they adopted were roommates at the shelter, and they were glad to both be adopted together and taken in to the same home. I'm sorry to hear that you lost the other cat. 15 years is a long time. They become more family than just pets. Yall take care up yonder ways. That was a cool looking pendant that you found. Take care, and we'll be talking soon. Kevin

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ed, it's always great to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that both you and Sue are doing well. Those are two nice looking pals that you have adopted. Our daughter and her husband have just adopted two cats from the local shelter. The two they adopted were roommates at the shelter, and they were glad to both be adopted together and taken in to the same home. I'm sorry to hear that you lost the other cat. 15 years is a long time. They become more family than just pets. Yall take care up yonder ways. That was a cool looking pendant that you found. Take care, and we'll be talking soon. Kevin
Hi Kevin, the two that we adopted are actually mother and daughter and we couldn't bear to separate them. Tabitha (in the foreground) is the mother. According to the lady who runs the shelter, they were rescued from an animal hoarder who along with some cats had other animals that were rescued. She told us that the cats were in a "nasty" situation, ....outdoors, neglected, and possibly abused. We're glad they were rescued and that we were able to adopt them. They're in a good home now and will be shown a lot of love and kindness. Congrats to your daughter and her husband for adopting their two cats.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufacturers like this crack me up....
with the / how the 18k mark is HUGE and the 925 mark is small.... when the primary metal is 925 with a dash of 18k.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Kevin, the two that we adopted are actually mother and daughter and we couldn't bear to separate them. Tabitha (in the foreground) is the mother. According to the lady who runs the shelter, they were rescued from an animal hoarder who along with some cats had other animals that were rescued. She told us that the cats were in a "nasty" situation, ....outdoors, neglected, and possibly abused. We're glad they were rescued and that we were able to adopt them. They're in a good home now and will be shown a lot of love and kindness. Congrats to your daughter and her husband for adopting their two cats.
Thanks Ed. It's always a win-win situation for both dogs and cats when they are rescued from bad situations and find loving homes where they are loved and cared for. Congrat's to you and Sue likewise as well as your new family members. Yall have a Great day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread