What's new

Blow Outs

Dharmacy

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
466
Reaction score
908
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little while back I posted a pic of a pile of misc fired bullets, I have been cleaning and treating some of my iron relics and running some stuff I dug from a WWI dump through electrolysis. So while I am waiting on that I have been going through the fired bullets and separating some of the more interesting ones. I will put up some of these as I run across them and take pics. Here are a couple of blown out three ringers that were in the pile.

D.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    232.1 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
Cool as heck.
Thanks for the picture .
Davers
 
Having dug many bullets from the 1850’s to present, I have never ran across ”blown out bullets”.

I’m not in an area where civil war battles were fought.

What is a “blown out bullet”?
 
Having dug many bullets from the 1850’s to present, I have never ran across ”blown out bullets”.

I’m not in an area where civil war battles were fought.

What is a “blown out bullet”?

This refers to a bullet with a casting flaw in the sidewall, usually from the cavity being off center or even an air pocket in the lead that creates a thin spot. This thin spot will "blow out" from the force of the charge and you will get a hole in the side like the examples shown.

D.
 
This refers to a bullet with a casting flaw in the sidewall, usually from the cavity being off center or even an air pocket in the lead that creates a thin spot. This thin spot will "blow out" from the force of the charge and you will get a hole in the side like the examples shown.

D.

Thank you. Guess with a higher number of bullets being shot, there are bound to be some rejects.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom