Blue Clay / Sandy Gravel Assay Results

racingjoe66

Greenie
Nov 15, 2021
Okay Guys and Gals, I had 2 samples of material tested and came back with the following results:

Sample 1----gold 0.142 oz per ton
------------silver 0.275 oz per ton
------------platinum 0.021 oz per ton
------------palladium 0.014 oz per ton
------------osmium 0.028 oz per ton
------------ruthenium 0.020 oz per ton
------------iridium 0.007 oz per ton
------------rhodium 0.004 oz per ton

Sample 2----gold 0.133 oz per ton
------------silver 0.199 oz per ton
------------platinum 0.017 oz per ton
------------palladium 0.016 oz per ton
------------osmium 0.023 oz per ton
------------ruthenium 0.021 oz per ton
------------iridium 0.007 oz per ton
------------rhodium 0.005 oz per ton

I am new to all this and wondering if the gold / silver is even worth mining with these results? I assume the other material results are so minor they aren't worth going after? The material sent off to be tested was a mixture of sandy gravel that is sitting on top of a blue clay layer and mixed in with these 2 samples was some of the blue clay that was right there at the sandy gravel layer. Would it be worth it to go deeper into the clay to have it tested further for gold and silver only? Going lets say 6 inches deep and then again at like 24 inches deep into the clay or what do people suggest?

Thanks for any and all input!!!

Upvote 4

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell guys in the time I’ve lent reading this I could be set up and running a high banker. I’d say dig a few holes, run a nice sample from each and see what’s in the pan when done.

Profitable for a mine, or profitable for a guys who owns his own equipment and mines as a hobby.

I’d dig it and see what happens.

If it was my back yard I’d not be relying to this because I’d be back there digging.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hell guys in the time I’ve lent reading this I could be set up and running a high banker. I’d say dig a few holes, run a nice sample from each and see what’s in the pan when done.

Profitable for a mine, or profitable for a guys who owns his own equipment and mines as a hobby.

I’d dig it and see what happens.

If it was my back yard I’d not be relying to this because I’d be back there digging.
The values on the report may not mean much if a guy with a shovels' and a high banker / sluice box can not recover. Best to go dig up some and see what can be caught in the box to start with.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The assay posted by the OP is malarkey, the laboratory gives the results in either parts per billion of million

Osmium is a very dangerous element.

It'll also burn the eyes, but it won't stop there: it also permanently stains the corneas, rendering a person blind.

Even at concentrations too low to smell — roughly two parts per billion — it can cause a fatal buildup of fluid in the lungs or damage the kidneys. 17 18 19 Smithson Tennant managed to avoid those perils.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The assay posted by the OP is malarkey, the laboratory gives the results in either parts per billion of million

Osmium is a very dangerous element.

It'll also burn the eyes, but it won't stop there: it also permanently stains the corneas, rendering a person blind.

Even at concentrations too low to smell — roughly two parts per billion — it can cause a fatal buildup of fluid in the lungs or damage the kidneys. 17 18 19 Smithson Tennant managed to avoid those perils.
Question, as a miner, have you had an assay done on a potential ore sample?
Pure Osmium doesn’t exist in nature, therefore all the risks you posed are basically irrelevant to a person separating gold using gravity methods. The only potential metals that could be recovered are the silver and gold (likely alloyed together naturally). Everything else is of such minuscule amounts to be irrelevant.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pure Osmium doesn’t exist in nature, therefore all the risks you posed are basically irrelevant to a person separating gold using gravity methods. The only potential metals that could be recovered are the silver and gold (likely alloyed together naturally). Everything else is of such minuscule amounts to be irrelevant.
Good points. Trace amounts are not worth going after.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
XRF assay.

hope assay.png

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
ICP assay local clay sample.

assay 1.png

assay 2.png

assay 3.png

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
XRF assay ball milled catalytic converter comb, operator pointing out elements which would cause an issue for the refinery.

Screenshot from 2022-03-10 21-56-07.png

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the clay material is rich enough then a fire process for the clay is worth it. Tests with real world results should be taken to give better answers.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XRF assay ball milled catalytic converter comb, operator pointing out elements which would cause an issue for the refinery.

View attachment 2014905
Respectfully that has zero to do with assays supporting extraction of minerals from the earth…much to do with scrap metal refining and very relevant to contamination testing. It’s just simple math…ratios. Certain industries utilize different data.

I would ask my question again, as a miner have you had potential ore assayed? This is a gold prospecting forum, having nothing to do with scrap recycling, be it jewelry or catalytic converters.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Fire assay river water, gold in parts per billion, the other river of interest was dried up.

sooke fre.png

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fabricating a firering
Respectfully that has zero to do with assays supporting extraction on minerals from the earth…much to do with scrap metal refining.
Nature has many ways of fluxing, reducing, oxidation as a combined process to come up with a final product.

This is not the same as refined metals etc.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And…we’re you having river water assayed to determine profitability of mining the gold from the water?
Parts per billion?
This is not a good foundation to speculate with.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
And…we’re you having river water assayed to determine profitability of mining the gold from the water?
No only a fool would do that, the river of interest was dry. last time I was there ionic gold was visible on the magnetite.

Would like to find the source.

four-rock.png

seepage.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread