Blue Cut Cajon Creek

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rawdog here,

Let it be known there is gold in cajon creek. Blue cut is the main point of interest, although some have done ok in cajon creek upstream off swartmouth rd.

My faithful and sturdy digging partner, Goldpaw has accompanied me to bluecut on several occasions. We were able to haul a good showing of color off shallow bedrock.

We would like to hear from other propsectors in the area to see how you have done or are doing, as we here most get skunked here, or find very small gold.

Due to popular demand for info and knowledge, as well as the vast amount of people we meet online and in the field that have no clue how to find gold, and then quickly give up (usually after spending 100's or 1000's on gear), Goldpaw and I now offer gold prospecting lessons to those that have the fever, but have never found color, and don't know where to start, have been fooled by pyrite and mica, (yelling eureka, when really, you just got a bunch of rocks to haul out to the dumpster), or just want to learn more about gold prospecting locations and techniques we use to consistently get better color than most on the rivers.

We will pass on the basics of locating good spots to sample, panning skills, sluice setup, how to find bedrock/what is bedrock? in 3 hour sessions at various points of interest we have pulled gold bearing gravel from. We will supply all the gear and water...sluice, drywasher, detector, and are willing to share our knowledge with those that are eager to learn. This way, you don't buy all the gear before you learn with our gear. PM myself or Goldpaw to schedule a session, or inquire further.

Happy hunting to all hardworking prospectors!

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldpaw, I said goodbye to you guys, but I guess you didn't hear me and I was so burnt out I just wanted to get to my car. Found some flakes and I wasn't moving boulders like you guys were so I'm sure you did better.

Definitely a spot that I would like to spend more time in due to the proximity of the parking, the shade and the lack of crowds.

There is a strange "blue clay" that lines one bank of the area. I know there have been discussions about blue clay up in the Northwest and I'm wondering if this stuff could be the same? I doubt it because this area was mined considerably in the 1800's.
IMAG0497.jpg

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very peaceful place to play. It was where I found my first color and have been hooked ever since. First time I went to check the place out I took 3 steps into the creek and looked up and spotted a buck and 4 of his girlfriends crossing the creek…They didn't seem to worried about me either.

deer.jpg

OP
OP
R

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldpaw, I said goodbye to you guys, but I guess you didn't hear me and I was so burnt out I just wanted to get to my car. Found some flakes and I wasn't moving boulders like you guys were so I'm sure you did better.

Definitely a spot that I would like to spend more time in due to the proximity of the parking, the shade and the lack of crowds.

There is a strange "blue clay" that lines one bank of the area. I know there have been discussions about blue clay up in the Northwest and I'm wondering if this stuff could be the same? I doubt it because this area was mined considerably in the 1800's.
View attachment 675511

You hit bedrock. Once you hit that, move mover. The bedrock is very shallow in that area.

Last edited:

MrCash2u

Greenie
Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no gold so far

Rawdog here,

Let it be known there is gold in cajon creek. Blue cut is the main point of interest, although some have done ok in cajon creek upstream off swartmouth rd.

My faithful and sturdy digging partner, Goldpaw has accompanied me to bluecut on several occasions. We were able to haul a good showing of color off shallow bedrock.

We would like to hear from other propsectors in the area to see how you have done or are doing, as we here most get skunked here, or find very small gold.

Due to popular demand for info and knowledge, as well as the vast amount of people we meet online and in the field that have no clue how to find gold, and then quickly give up (usually after spending 100's or 1000's on gear), Goldpaw and I now offer gold prospecting lessons to those that have the fever, but have never found color, and don't know where to start, have been fooled by pyrite and mica, (yelling eureka, when really, you just got a bunch of rocks to haul out to the dumpster), or just want to learn more about gold prospecting locations and techniques we use to consistently get better color than most on the rivers.

We will pass on the basics of locating good spots to sample, panning skills, sluice setup, how to find bedrock/what is bedrock? in 3 hour sessions at various points of interest we have pulled gold bearing gravel from. We will supply all the gear and water...sluice, drywasher, detector, and are willing to share our knowledge with those that are eager to learn. This way, you don't buy all the gear before you learn with our gear. PM myself or Goldpaw to schedule a session, or inquire further.

Happy hunting to all hardworking prospectors!

I went there the other day ran my bazooka sluice and nothing....not even a spec. tried 3 spots. maybe i'm in the wrong spot.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MrCash, There is a big, shaded parking lot on the West side of the road. That is the area we were in. The creek is very narrow and at the bottom of 20-30' cliffs. I did find 3 chunky flakes and have yet to clean out my cons. I was digging right in the river behind a large boulder.

It's definitely not like the EF, but when you can't make it to the EF, Blue Cut will work.

SmithgrindSteve

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my second time at Blue Cut. Didn't find any gold first time. Gotta go through my cons tomorrow. I invited a friend of mine from Hesperia to meet us there. He said Blue Cut is a gay/meth hook-up spot. After googling it he was right. I dont think I will return.

Tinkering

May 16, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today was my second time at Blue Cut. Didn't find any gold first time. Gotta go through my cons tomorrow. I invited a friend of mine from Hesperia to meet us there. He said Blue Cut is a gay/meth hook-up spot. After googling it he was right. I dont think I will return.

Interesting. As I left today I was curious to see about 3 different people head in at the same spot not really dressed for anything related to the river.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone to Cajon Creek many, many times. Always find gold. One prospector I meet with a decided German accent said he keeps track of the gold he gets from different areas, and said he gets more by weight from Cajon Creek than from the San Gabriel river. Said the gold is smaller, but more of it. Just have to know where to dig.

Many people dig just the surface material and don't get much gold. But many times if you open up a new hole, and you can tell because the material is hardpacked, you will get good gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread