Bluff, rock shelter, creek- Ideal scenario

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys let me start by saying I'm new to the site and also new to artifact hunting. I've always looked for arrowheads and artifacts but never really "hunted" them until the last few weeks and it has got to be one of the most interesting things I've done. Needless to say I'm hooked. My questions has to do alot with the title, I have a jam up place to artifact hunt only problem is it obviously has already been hunted and hunted hard. The set up is ideal, two nice bluffs with overhangs, one facing south and the other Southwest. Someone at some point spent countless hours digging and sifting against the bluffs, going down to solid Rock in some places and 4ft deep in others maybe even 5. I have started re sifting through what has previously been dug but really to no avail. The bluffs are dug from against the wall out maybe 4 ft and their sifting is piled maybe 8-12ft from the bluffs. Is it worth digging past their sifts and going a couple feet deep 8-12ft from the actual wall? I realize you have to put in the work to really know but this digging and sifting is quite time consuming and I don't have alot of time when I'm there. (Work, kids, etc) I'm just looking for information on past experience nothing more. One other question there is a very nice spring running out of the bluff straight into the creek (about 30 ft from the bluff to waters edge) that doesn't appear to have been dug, any idea why or is it not somewhere they would have spent lots of time. There is lots of Flint around it but not really any signs of past digging? I apologise for the long post and will try to post a few pictures. I have read lots on this forum about bluffs and overhangs but thought my questions were different than any of the previous posts.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have mentioned large rocks and the effects of erosion through time. I’ve got a huge rock that has collapsed on one side of the shelter i look at. It’s at least an 8’x8’ chunk of stone. I’ll never move it but I may be able to get under it. Has anybody had any luck or experience in situations like this? For all I know it collapsed 100,000 years ago and there’s nothing so I haven’t gone through the effort

Edit: Well huge for a flat land Kansas boy, you mountain folk might laugh at an 8’x8’ rock

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread