Bomb?

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this picture I took a while ago on my phone.
Came across a guy who was metal detecting on a field. As I approached he was kneeling in front of a hole and seemed to be praying (at least it looked like it). This 'thing' was inside that hole.
Can anybody identify it? Bombe.jpeg
Is it an explosive? (around 1945 you fellas seemed to have so many explosives, you even dropped them over my hometown 'cause apparently you didn't know where to store them ;) )
As far as I know the guy called police. Don't know though what happened afterwards

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say with no idea of size and scale in your image. Could be an inverted bowl(?)

But until you know for sure what it is - best assume it might be an unexploded bomb. Here are a couple that some-how ended up in England showing that the light tail-fins don't last in the soil (or even after impact).

OB-CS536_1124bo_D_20081124174133.jpg

wembley-unexploded-bomb-gty-jc-181116_hpEmbed_17x12_992.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the diameter was around 10cm. For some reason the you didn't really want to dig it up. Can't say it for sure

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is scary!Is there an administration that deals with this sort of thing that could be called to verify safely and remove/decommission?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is scary!Is there an administration that deals with this sort of thing that could be called to verify safely and remove/decommission?

Yes! We have an ordonance disposal service. You call them and either they take the explosives with them or blow them up right on the spot. Depending on the area where you go, there might be a good chance to find grenades, bombs or at least ammunition. In bigger citys they find aerial bombs quite often when they build new houses.
I think there was a funny story in 2018 when an elderly lady (ca 90 years old) went to the local police department with a russian fragmentation grenade in her hand. Apparently her husband brought it as a souvenier from Russia in ´43 and used it as decoration on his desk at home. He died and she wanted to get rid of it. That thing was still fully functionable.

If you buy a house and you find old WWII bombs/grenades etc in your garden you have to pay for the removal. State doesn't give a sh*t about it. If you "own" stuff like that you can go to prison for up to 10 years I think, on the other side you have to remove it. They won't pay a cent

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! We have an ordonance disposal service. You call them and either they take the explosives with them or blow them up right on the spot. Depending on the area where you go, there might be a good chance to find grenades, bombs or at least ammunition. In bigger citys they find aerial bombs quite often when they build new houses.
I think there was a funny story in 2018 when an elderly lady (ca 90 years old) went to the local police department with a russian fragmentation grenade in her hand. Apparently her husband brought it as a souvenier from Russia in ´43 and used it as decoration on his desk at home. He died and she wanted to get rid of it. That thing was still fully functionable.

If you buy a house and you find old WWII bombs/grenades etc in your garden you have to pay for the removal. State doesn't give a sh*t about it. If you "own" stuff like that you can go to prison for up to 10 years I think, on the other side you have to remove it. They won't pay a cent
But you find some gold bars in your yard then its theirs lol

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this. If you hit it with a hammer and it doesn't go off you can return it for full credit or replacement.

American's guarantee their work.

But the Brits snuck in a few at night as well. Check and see if it is leaking oil - then you may have a British product on your hands.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys should have thought about the who is paying for returned ordinance before you started bombing England.

On the other hand, we should have let you have Poland.

I think England wasn't the problem. We should have thought about that whole invading Russia thing. Shouldn't have done that. (We shouldn't have started that war at all tbh)

You should rethink what you said about Poland. It's quite disturbing!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread