Bought a used CTX, have a few questions.

dcbaros

Jun 14, 2010
Kemah, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Just bought a 1 year old CTX with 17 inch coil. It should be here Thursday but I have a few questions. I want to upgrade the battery seal and armrest via Minelab but I tried calling the Chicago office several times today to ask about costs and no one would answer. I later read that they were having issues with the Chicago repair center and that kellyco is the current primary repair center. Has anyone had their CTX upgraded? Do they send you the parts or do you have to send it off? How much did it cost? Should I just call kellyco?

Also, I have never bought a used detector or owned a minelab. What are some common issues I should look for when I receive it to make sure I did not receive a lemon? If the owner was not lying about the age there should still be warranty left.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Call Dave or Marty @ Kellyco Service @ 1-407-699-8724. Just had my Excal II serviced there last week and they do great work. Call Nadia @ Minelab @ 1-630-401-8159 with the serial number and she can tell you if there is any warranty remaining. GL

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along with what's been said...just look at the general overall condition. That in itself would tell you at least something about how it's been used and if it's been thrashed or not. A lot of people don't seem to understand,it's not a MACHINE,it's an INSTRUMENT. If you use it as a pogo stick,let it roll around in the back of your truck,drop it on the ground every time you dig a target,etc. it won't last long no matter WHAT brand or model it is. If it doesn't have a screen protector or environmental cover,GET ONE. If it doesn't have a coil cover GET ONE. I smoke,unfortunately. A couple weeks ago a cherry fell on my enviro cover and put a big burn mark on it. I'm not happy about it. I'd be ALOT unhappier if that was the screen itself. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention!
Be sure to stop back for all kinds of great advice,the CTX and MLs in general will find you stuff in places you've looked before. Some of it is because you simply didn't find it before,some of it is the technology involved. Learn the unit and you will be the happiest SOB on your block. And...while the 17" coil is great it ain't for everything,especially not all day. If you're not getting the stock coil,get that too,it's a perfect fit for a lot of sites and can be swung all day.
Good luck out there!

OP
OP
D

dcbaros

Jun 14, 2010
Kemah, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Along with what's been said...just look at the general overall condition. That in itself would tell you at least something about how it's been used and if it's been thrashed or not. A lot of people don't seem to understand,it's not a MACHINE,it's an INSTRUMENT. If you use it as a pogo stick,let it roll around in the back of your truck,drop it on the ground every time you dig a target,etc. it won't last long no matter WHAT brand or model it is. If it doesn't have a screen protector or environmental cover,GET ONE. If it doesn't have a coil cover GET ONE. I smoke,unfortunately. A couple weeks ago a cherry fell on my enviro cover and put a big burn mark on it. I'm not happy about it. I'd be ALOT unhappier if that was the screen itself. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention!
Be sure to stop back for all kinds of great advice,the CTX and MLs in general will find you stuff in places you've looked before. Some of it is because you simply didn't find it before,some of it is the technology involved. Learn the unit and you will be the happiest SOB on your block. And...while the 17" coil is great it ain't for everything,especially not all day. If you're not getting the stock coil,get that too,it's a perfect fit for a lot of sites and can be swung all day.
Good luck out there!

Got it today and the seller neglected to mention that one of the battery clamps was broken off and the battery won't stay attached. Its going right back. Learned my lesson and I will probably buy a new one.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear you got a bad machine, I hope you can get that resolved quickly.

To answer your original question about upgrades, they consist of two parts:
- a battery and seal. These you can change yourself if you order the parts.
- a revised arm cuff lock. This one requires a change in the main body of the detector due to the addition of some notches in the arm cuff adjustment area, and can only be done at the factory service center.

Note that neither effect the electronics and an older machine has the same firmware as the newer ones.

Hope that helps.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Call Tony S. @ Fort Bedford Detectors. He'll give you a GREAT deal on a new CTX...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a simple fix on the clamps and it is covered under warranty if you want to send it to the Minelab repair center at kellyco...

OP
OP
D

dcbaros

Jun 14, 2010
Kemah, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
It is a simple fix on the clamps and it is covered under warranty if you want to send it to the Minelab repair center at kellyco...

Its mostly the principle of it. They advertised it as like new. Im not going to worry about getting it to a repair center and then waiting on it for days when I could spend a small bit more and get a new one. Im not even sure its under warranty, they could have been lying about the age as well and I haven't checked the S/N.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its mostly the principle of it. They advertised it as like new. Im not going to worry about getting it to a repair center and then waiting on it for days when I could spend a small bit more and get a new one. Im not even sure its under warranty, they could have been lying about the age as well and I haven't checked the S/N.

It is the principle,I agree completely. It's not like they didn't know,unless it got stolen in shipping! At this stage I'll also agree it's wise to go new,for nothing more than peace of mind....and as long as the bank account allows,which it sounds like it will. While this deal may have been a disappointment I can all but guarantee that your experience with the CTX won't be. Keep us posted....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions