Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I know there's been a lot of discussions going on about the AT Pro, so maybe talking about one of Garrett's older machines will give everyone a little break. :wink:

I know you experienced users on the Scorpion are just gonna smile at this, but let the new guy gush for a moment. :love4:

I just bought my Scorpion on Friday and assembled it today.

I set it up in Auto Mode & Motion Discrimination to do a little air testing.

Holy cow, am I impressed! No wonder John Edmunton likes this machine so much!

He and all his posts showing his finds was the reason I bought this unit in the first place. So Garrett owes you, John! :notworthy:

Ok, with the discrimination set just below the preset, here is what I found (and this for all those other folks out there considering the Scorpion):

Coins: from the penny to the presidential dollar -- a double beep. Every time!

Rings: steel, silver, gold and platinum -- a double beep

Pull Tabs: three different ones -- a double beep (dang it! but that's the breaks when you're hunting gold.)

So if you're hunting and the Scorpion gives you a double beep, dig it and hope its not a pull tab, but for most of us that goes with the territory.

Now get this:

Ring on side: a single beep

Bottle cap: a single beep

Sounds bad, right? I mean I HATE bottle caps. At least those aluminum pull tabs have a little value (like, half a penny). :laughing7:

But here's the thing: in the air test it wasn't a problem telling the difference between the two.

The bottle caps (one new, one rusty) gave a very crisp, sharp single beep.

The rings on their side gave a more washed out single beep. The beep was weaker going in and coming out, but it was still solid.

You guys can't imagine how excited this makes me. Of course, I'm going to dig all the single beeps for awhile, just make sure these results are consistent in the field, but if they are, my life just got a little easier.

Now I know the Scorpion isn't a depth monster on coins and jewelry, but if it nails coins and jewelry like this and gets 6-8", that's plenty for a shallow hunter like me. Besides, that's where most targets are anyway unless you're relic hunting.

It even gave a solid double beep on a small (brass?) fraternity pin I found on another hunt that isn't even 1/2 inch tall.

I've got a hunt set for Wednesday that looks promising. I can't wait.

Promise to post my finds.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Congratulations on getting a fine metal detector, in fact, one of the finest metal detectors I have ever owned to find rings and jewellery, especially of the gold type. I see you are already focusing on that nice sweet analog audio, which gives you a lot of information. A lot of what you are going to discover, is not written in the manual.....it comes from actual experience in the field. It's like learning a musical instrument. I wish you the best of luck and hope the gold, silver and platinum finds start coming your way. With gold hovering around the $1,400.00 mark, you will have that detector paid off in no time. :thumbsup:

A toast to that 15kHz operating frequency :occasion14: Below are my rings found with the Scorpion last year. :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• 2010scorpion.jpg
    2010scorpion.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 169

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge............ I had a scorpion a little while back and sold it to a freind of mine.......... Now i miss it and saw a refurbished one like new with warranty card so i am thinking of getting it........... You should have good luck with your scorpion........

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 132

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread