Bound together

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
This nice medieval seal 13th/14th century is a pasture field find. The device shows two bound hands and a bird. There's two theories on what it means. Some think it shows the bound hands of an executed person, the bird being a carion bird. The over theory says it shows two hands bound in love , with the bird pecking at there love.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• bird food.jpg
    bird food.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 783
Upvote 0
robfinds said:
DCMatt said:
Robert,

Thanks for the better pics. I must say though, I still can't make out the inscription. Does it say "PRIVE SV"? If so, I don't see it. And trying to read the article - YIKES. I need to visit my optometrist now!

I did some poking around on the symbols. I'm going to agree with the love/friend theory. Hands crossed and tied to represent relationship/marriage. The bird is rather nondescript but if it is a love seal, I'd guess it is a crow - which represented a long and monogamous life in Medieval times.

Very cool piece. I'd love a chance to find one myself. Of course, that won't happen in Virginia... :crybaby2:

DCMatt

P.S. What happened with the Pope Urban V seal? Any news?
Hello Matt, can't tell what it says to be honest. Pity about the article it looked very clear until posted.

Robert,

One last comment on this piece before I let it go. It struck me early this morning that almost ALL of the pics I saw of prisoner's hands bound or cuffed showed hands closed or fists. Your seal shows hands open which reinforces the "love seal" theory IMHO.

DCMatt

DCMatt said:
robfinds said:
DCMatt said:
Robert,

Thanks for the better pics. I must say though, I still can't make out the inscription. Does it say "PRIVE SV"? If so, I don't see it. And trying to read the article - YIKES. I need to visit my optometrist now!

I did some poking around on the symbols. I'm going to agree with the love/friend theory. Hands crossed and tied to represent relationship/marriage. The bird is rather nondescript but if it is a love seal, I'd guess it is a crow - which represented a long and monogamous life in Medieval times.

Very cool piece. I'd love a chance to find one myself. Of course, that won't happen in Virginia... :crybaby2:

DCMatt

Hello Matt, can't tell what it says to be honest. Pity about the article it looked very clear until posted.

Robert,

One last comment on this piece before I let it go. It struck me early this morning that almost ALL of the pics I saw of prisoner's hands bound or cuffed showed hands closed or fists. Your seal shows hands open which reinforces the "love seal" theory IMHO.

DCMatt
[/quote Matt your just a romantic at heart, could be "a prisoner of love". Anyway ive put it on uk ebay this afternoon, so prisoner or lover lets hope it's a mover !.

robfinds said:
DCMatt said:
robfinds said:
DCMatt said:
Robert,

DCMatt

Robert,

DCMatt
[/quote Matt your just a romantic at heart, could be "a prisoner of love". Anyway ive put it on uk ebay this afternoon, so prisoner or lover lets hope it's a mover !.

how could you Rob?

i have to look at my stuff for at least a week before i can put it away, let alone sell it :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back