Bounty Hunter 3300 review

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
As most of you know, I bought a 3300 recently for a coin shooter. I had not got a chance to go out and play with it until yesterday, and I had to take it close. I went to the elementry school I found the diamond engagement ring at.
This school yard is really bad for trash, tons of tin foil everywhere, and tons of EMI that screws with all my detectors, so its usually not a place I go unless I need a quick fix.
After ground balancing and adjusting the sensitivity, I discriminated out all iron, p/ts (pull tabs) and s/g (silver and gold). Remember, I bought this for one thing only, and I wanted to test that out. Plus I've hit this area hard on several occasions, so I wasn't too worried about silver and gold coins. I think there are alot there, just under 6 inches of sandy dirt and under that a layer of gravel.
So, anyway I immediately went to the sand area around the jungle gym and swings. Within 1 hour I had found 6 dimes, one canadian dime, 4 pennies all pre '82, and a little tiny button snap.
Every one of those minus the canadian were at 4~6 inches.
The button snap is extremely tiny, and was 6 inches down. I dug a monster of a hole because it read as a dime, I was looking for a dime. After digging, I ran the detector over in pinpoint and got a signal in the sand pile, shifted through it and found the button snap.

That brings up the pinpoint function of the 3300. Obviously it does not discriminate. In an area such as this playground, it can sometimes be quite worthless. Don't get me wrong, if the area I was working didn't have tin foil, it was dead on, and I mean dead on. I would lower the coil and make an impression in the sand of the holes, and it was always smack in the middle.

The negatives I found:
The pole is cheap and wobbles, which can cause false signals. Duck tape or a new pole will help.
Battery seating. It seems a major problem with the 3300s is the way the 2 nine volts sit in the casing. If they are not tight, then it causes fale tones. A small piece of cardboard behind each battery stops that.
EMI is a super problem with this detector for some reason. It effects all detectors I have ever owned, but this one will go on the fritz. Stay out from underneath powerlines, and based on my experience yesterday you need to stay away from large industry sized air conditioners. For some reason whenever it would kick on, the 3300 would go crazy. Never had that problem before. The manual also states that other detectors need to be a minimum of 20 feet away, and I can believe that.
The arm cup is not very big, and because of this is not very comfortable.

All in all an awesome bargain at $112. Right now I would say that I would never have paid $299 for it, but the jury is still out until I take it out for a real test.

I hope this helps any of you thinking about picking one of these up while they are still out, or if you are thinking about purchasing the Titan 3000. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

HH!

Attachments

• discovery.jpg
    discovery.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 4,324
  • discovery.jpg
    discovery.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 4,310

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Dave -nice field test explanation. I too have a 3300 and am fairly happy with it. EMI is a problem with it, but can be compensated to an extent by sensitivity adjust. for what I paid, its good. Would like to upgrade eventually.
HH

DETREASUREHNTR

Jun 15, 2006
Bear,DE
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
I recently went to the beach for the first time with mine and had constant low metal tones. The batteries are fairly new and I will switch them out next time I go,but other than that any idea what else could have caused the costant low metal readings? I also realized once I changed the discrimination level it doesn't stay where I set it all the time. if anyone has any other hints for settings please let me know. thanks! ;D

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I get the constant low metal tones (iron) on my 3300 at the beach as well. Almost without exception, when I do dig them, guess what I find? Iron!!!

The beach where I hunt is loaded with bits of wire, nails, screws, nuts, bolts, pins, posts, etc......

I've found that the 3300 is an iron blood hound. If it's there, it'll find it. Even really small bits at 6-8" make it bark loud!

I usually disc out the iron, but then I still get the 199 readout, which is usually still iron.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have static beneath overhead power lines with all my detectors (5). I don't know if that problem can ever be entirely eliminated? There is a commercial highline running through my neighborhood with a gazillion volts or something and you can even feel the electricity in the air if you walk under them. A detector goes nuts if you even approach them! Darndest thing I have ever seen....or felt. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I ran my small BH coil just to see how it worked. It eliminated quite a bit of the overhead power line problem, but still was sensitive to the metal posts at the kiddy park. Couldn't get but about a foot from them before they caused the meter to show a buick sized object at 9"! :D Guess it's something we just have to live with, but no great disadvantage as long as you realize the problem and allow for it. Oh, the BH "Gold Nugget" coil works great on the 3300 without any calibration. Just strap it on and go. The BH reps told me it would work just fine ( it's off my Land Ranger) but I had to test it anyway since there was so much talk about sending them in and having them calibrated. I think having them calibrated is just a myth. As far as I can discern all they do is hook the coil up and see if it works ok and check them for flaws and if OK they send them back. I honestly don't think there is much tweaking that can be done....or not? Monty

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Monty said:
Yesterday I ran my small BH coil just to see how it worked. It eliminated quite a bit of the overhead power line problem, but still was sensitive to the metal posts at the kiddy park. Couldn't get but about a foot from them before they caused the meter to show a buick sized object at 9"! :D Guess it's something we just have to live with, but no great disadvantage as long as you realize the problem and allow for it. Oh, the BH "Gold Nugget" coil works great on the 3300 without any calibration. Just strap it on and go. The BH reps told me it would work just fine ( it's off my Land Ranger) but I had to test it anyway since there was so much talk about sending them in and having them calibrated. I think having them calibrated is just a myth. As far as I can discern all they do is hook the coil up and see if it works ok and check them for flaws and if OK they send them back. I honestly don't think there is much tweaking that can be done....or not? Monty

Yes Monty, the poles at the kiddy parks cause huge signals, even if you notch it out. I have learned that if the signal is 199 just to leave it be, that is unless I'm digging for iron relics, then its a free for all. Speaking of iron, this detector is certainly a iron hawk. If there is iron, it will find it, case closed.

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
My 3300 goes nuts for iron also I don't even dig anthing that reads over 155, the more rusty the iron the higher the number I read. Rusted steel washers and nuts I get quarter reading all the time. It only really drives me crazy if I am hunting where there was a lot of construction or a bussiness that dropped a lot of nuts and bolts around.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
At 6"+ in moderately mineralized ground, it reads 199 on everything. 199 simply means it can't tell what it is. Some of these will be coins. At lesser depths, it gives a pretty fair indication most of the time. I got a 14k gold wedding band that read nickel. I noticed when the ground changes it may tell you to change the ground balance by giving false signals. It has somewhat of an ability to distinguish between nickels & modern tabs. I thought it separated fairly well with the 8" coil as it IDed a coin only several inches from a can. It seemed to reject small iron OK, but beeped on the rusty can. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread