Bounty Hunter 4 inch coil question

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a youtube video, some elderly gentleman, a few years older than myself was doing an air test with a 4 in coil. You do not get much depth with that coil, but it may help you find more in trashy areas.

search for

BOUNTY HUNTER PIONEER 202 WITH 4" COIL AIR TEST

OP
OP
Y

YungGunzBlazn

Jan 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the 4 inch coil found some wheat pennies and a gold watch today. I was hunting and old fairground from around 1909 or something they used to have horse races there. Going back tomorrow!!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my 4" more than the 9" coil, and the depth is very close to the larger coils depth since it seems I can crank the sensitivity to max on my 202 without it becoming unstable and I still get a nice sharp pinpoint cone of flux into the ground. I hunt behind the guys with all the bells and whistle machines and find as much as they do simply because they all seem to use the bigger coils which are going to miss good targets adjacent to trash if they are in discriminate mode. The 4" is nice and light and I never get arm fatigue from it like I can from the 9" coil after several hours of detecting. The disadvantage is the small area you can cover in the same amount of time compared to the larger coil, you will really have to slow down and tighten up your sweeps and overlaps.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 6.5" x 4" elliptical concentric coil that air-tests a nickel out to 11"

Not what I expect or experience in dirt - but it's a great coil for coin shooting in areas with bottle-tops and can slaw. I still hit quarters and dimes to 8". In parks or picnic areas it is a real pleasure to use vs. the 11" DD stock coil. You will find many uses for the sniper size coil if you hunt coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread