Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter Volume Question

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hello everyone: ;D I haven't "spoken" to TH'ers since before I sold my Teknetics Mark I Ltd over 5 years ago. :( Now, because my wife and I are planning to drive to Miami next spring and we might detour to Sebastian Inlet, I've decided to buy a metal detector and, as we speak, I'm waiting for a reply from someone who is offering a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II which I've decided to get due to it being allegedly able to detect on wet sand without going bananas. Otherwise, I was considering a Pioneer 2002, a Quick Draw 2, or a model which looks like a Titan. My reason for one of these beauties is that unlike most detectors out there, regardless of price, Bounty Hunter employs notching which I always used on my Teknetics to find nickels while on discrimination.

What I don't see on the Bounty Hunters (or the other brands) is a volume control and I'm wondering how you Bounty Hunter guys/gals deal with this. Is there only one level of volume and if there is, is it loud enough to hear over close-by traffic, or the beach noises, etc. Is the volume loud enough where in quieter areas one can use earphones/headphones/earbuds with a loudness control to turn it down? Does one need an earphone amplifier? And on, and on.

Attachments

• Ug-2.JPG
    Ug-2.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 151

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Yes.

When it's quiet - you'll hear everything just fine.

If around traffic or busy areas you'll prolly want headphones.

There is no volume - just on and off... and it's fairly loud, but not insane loud like the Ace 250. My advice is take the headphones and use them if you need to. You prolly already know using them will save on battery life too.

You should not need an amplifier... the signal is either there or it isn't... there are no "faint" signals with the BHs (202 or 505).

Welcoem back to T-Net and to detecting! I hope you get some fun stuff...

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanks for your quick reply, Montana Elf Dude. I have always used earbuds after trying heavy, sweaty and engulfing regular headphones. While detecting in the many parks of New York City I gravitated to light earbuds which are light and sufficient so that I could be aware of strangers approaching me and not surprising me. With over the ear headphones you are isolated I didn't want someone to surprise me and grab my detector. My White's and Teknetics had volume controls which I never rotated to maximum. Very rarely did I find myself in a noisy environment where I had to crank up the volume to maximum. So I guess we'll see how it goes when and if I acquire a detector.

Silver Fox

Montana Elf Dude said:
Yes.

When it's quiet - you'll hear everything just fine.

If around traffic or busy areas you'll prolly want headphones.

There is no volume - just on and off... and it's fairly loud, but not insane loud like the Ace 250. My advice is take the headphones and use them if you need to. You prolly already know using them will save on battery life too.

You should not need an amplifier... the signal is either there or it isn't... there are no "faint" signals with the BHs (202 or 505).

Welcoem back to T-Net and to detecting! I hope you get some fun stuff...

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
I've been using the BHSS for about a year now. I don't normally hunt in noisy areas, but I did have trouble hearing it over the roar of the ocean down at the beach. Buds may work for some people, but I prefer full "cover the ear" phones. The machine generates 3 different tones, and while the volume is the same, the higher tones are a bit easier to hear than the lower "buzz". Hope this helps

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Bodyguard said:
I've been using the BHSS for about a year now. I don't normally hunt in noisy areas, but I did have trouble hearing it over the roar of the ocean down at the beach. Buds may work for some people, but I prefer full "cover the ear" phones. The machine generates 3 different tones, and while the volume is the same, the higher tones are a bit easier to hear than the lower "buzz". Hope this helps
Since I plan to use the BHSS at the beach only your reply is very helpful. You may have possibly missed a gold ring or two unless you keep your eyes peeled on the meter and are not distracted by the ladies. ;D

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
B said:
Get headphones with volume control, Koss makes some good ones.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have headphones with volume control. Since Bodyguard said he had a problem hearing the lower tone, meaning possible gold, I'll have to use my headphones instead of the preferred earbuds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions