glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago I posted a personal experience from some time in the 1970 at the Bowling Green Speedway located in Codorus township PA Clyde Bolen a local farmer /race car driver built and operated a race car track from 1952 until 1957 It was a very popular place in those days The owner claimed to have up to 5000 to 8000 people attending the weekend racing events he was booking for his track .Consider that during that time frame it is possible that the township did not have that many residents that had a phone in their home And quite possible a indoor bathroom So the only way to use the bathroom was to go to the outhouse At that time to draw in that many fans to such an event was quite an amazing feat The track closed after about 5 years due to cash flow problems And never reopened But even now there are some fair number of people can claim there attended races there And for a few years of races has maintained a historical significant place in local history And many drivers raced tee at the beginning of their carer and went on the become very well known drivers in the south east and south central race car driving circuit Booby Goodling Johnny Mackinson . Bobby Hersh a York county native drove#39 (I THINK) the Trone SUNOCO car for many years I am old enough to know some of them but did not enter this world until the track had just opened and it closed by the time I was just 2 or 3 So my race track memories are what came after the track was purchased along with the surrounding farmland by one of my uncles Also some of the race car owners /drivers went on to be a part of the Nascar racing scene later on So the track may not be a treasure like finding gold and silver coins or bottles or other types of historically important items But in a different time and in a place that is much like the baseball Field of Dreams movie If you build it they will come

Attachments

• 1954-johnny-mackison-bowling-green-champion.jpg
    1954-johnny-mackison-bowling-green-champion.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1954-bowling-green-racing-action-turns-1-and-2.jpg
    1954-bowling-green-racing-action-turns-1-and-2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 8
  • 1956-dizzy-dean-77-and-behind-jerry-banks-21-at-bowling-green-speedway-p-dave-zortman-collecti...jpg
    1956-dizzy-dean-77-and-behind-jerry-banks-21-at-bowling-green-speedway-p-dave-zortman-collecti...jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a vague memory of watching those early modle stock cars that were all those old hot rodded late 1930s-40s cars. We'd go to the races visiting my uncle in Columbus, Nebraska. That was probably in the early 1960s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread