Box of books produces signed 1st edition!

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I was driving to the store yesterday and saw a moving sale sign and decided to make a detour. Saw a few boxes of older books marked "hardcovers $1 each". I was thumbing through them and saw the usual name and address of the owner inside the covers until I came across this one. My heart about jumped out of my chest. I calmly closed the cover, paid my buck and left. Been trying to research the book, and only found a couple of old newspaper articles that mention the author when he was on the job as a detective in NYC. I believe the inscription reads "To Dr. Kinney(or maybe Kierney), One who proved to be a real life saver to me. Ernest L Van Wagner." It may not be worth much, but a signed 1st edition this age has got to be worth alot more than $1! Anybody out there know anything else about this author?

Attachments

• NY Detective Cover.JPG
    NY Detective Cover.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,051
  • NY Dectective Publish page.JPG
    NY Dectective Publish page.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • NYD title page.JPG
    NYD title page.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • title page close-up.JPG
    title page close-up.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,032

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
How very cool! It looks as if it'd be a terrific read, to boot. (Unless you don't want to risk tearing a page or something)

No idea as to its worth, but signed is better, and is the author in demand (dunno).

Good luck!

Nan

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
From what I can find he was a 36-yr career detective, retiring in 1932. He worked for Teddy Roosevelt in the early part of his career. This is his autobiography.
Being that you're in NY you should have no trouble finding someone (quite possibly in law enforcement) that would be looking to find a copy of that.

T

tulecanyon

i checked abebooks, and not one is listed.

fantastic find.
police memorabilia is a hot market. i just sold a cane handle that belonged to a sherriff in colorado for 250.
picked it up on a trade, posted it on craigs list...three days later it was in the mail.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
so very cool!! Would definitely be worth more than a buck just to put in your personal library! Good find!

Purrdee

Dec 9, 2008
Davis Co. Utah
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Historyhound said:
I was driving to the store yesterday and saw a moving sale sign and decided to make a detour. Saw a few boxes of older books marked "hardcovers $1 each". I was thumbing through them and saw the usual name and address of the owner inside the covers until I came across this one. My heart about jumped out of my chest. I calmly closed the cover, paid my buck and left. Been trying to research the book, and only found a couple of old newspaper articles that mention the author when he was on the job as a detective in NYC. I believe the inscription reads "To Dr. Kinney(or maybe Kierney), One who proved to be a real life saver to me. Ernest L Van Wagner." It may not be worth much, but a signed 1st edition this age has got to be worth alot more than $1! Anybody out there know anything else about this author?
[/quote

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0D16F6385513738DDDAF0894D8415B828FF1D3
YOu might want to take a look at this..

Purrdee]

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
I buy and sell a lot of book and I can tell you anything signed is worth a lot more then one not. Also that book might have a good lead or two in it. If you can read it with out hurting it do so it might put you onto a nice little NY treasure or two. Keep us up to date on the book, would love to read it myself.
Good Luck Bobby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread