What's new

Box of cents on Festivus

wiedz

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2008
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Got a box of cents on Festivus hoping for a holiday miracle. Unfortunately it was a pretty average box. 8 wheats and about 30% copper.

1935, 1938, 1944, 1946, 1954 D, 1956 D (2), 1958 D. My streak of 4 straight boxes filling at least one hole in my whitman folders came to an end. I did however find two 1970 S small dates.


EDIT: After more scrutinizing of the 1970 S coins I no longer believe them to be small dates. I've looked over several resources and am quite confused. Every site seems to have different "sure fire" ways of telling the difference but each one seems to contradict the other when I look at the coins.
 
Upvote 0
At least you found some 30's wheaties. I don't find thirties wheaties too often. I've searched close to $2000 in pennies and have only got one 1970-S which I found earlier this week. I live in the SF Bay Area and so I get "S" mints often and I see 1970-S cents all the time. Trust me, it's hard to find. I've been looking. The key to the small date is a number of things. The "Liberty" is weak. The top of the 7 is even at the top with the 9 & 0. The loop of the 9 points more sharply inward. The bottom of the 7 doesn't stick out very far compared to the large dates. It's harder to find than you think. It's much harder to find than a 1960 small date and less obvious too.

Here's the link to me finding one:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,371938.0.html

If only I could find a 69-S doubled die.
 
I find quite a few S-mint cents down here in Orange County as well. I've accumulated at least a roll's worth of 70-s Largies this year alone. I have yet to find a small date in the wild. The one I have was purchased at a coin store in the early 90's.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom