What's new

Box of Dimes 07-06-07

Tabfry

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
297
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I recruited the help of my daughters this evening and went through a box of dimes. My 10 yr old was dumping some of her roll onto the floor when I heard that distinct sound. I told her to stop emptying that roll and look closely at the ones in front of her. A few seconds later she tells me that she found one with a "girl" on it. My older daughter found the other Merc. The two Rosies were mine. Tomorrow I'll have to "recruit" those nimble little fingers to do some re-rolling! ;D

The Penny you see here was in a roll of dimes. It was shaved down to the exact o.d. of a dime. I wonder if it would work in a vending machine...
 

Attachments

  • 07-06-07 Dimes.webp
    07-06-07 Dimes.webp
    48 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
On the floor?
That's funny - those girls are keepers! (I don't mean the mercs - oh yeah - keep them too!).
 
Hey Tabfry....

At the risk of dating myself, back in the early 60s when I was a small boy, we would sit on the sidewalk and rub a penny down until it looked just like the one you found.

And yup, they would work in a vending machine. A dime would buy a glass returnable 10 ounce bottled soda from a vending machine, or, so would a "rubbed down" penny.

I hadn't thought about that in years.........

Thanks for sharing.

Robin
 
Sheesh, two mercs in one box! I have found well over a hundred silver roosies from boxes without finding a single Merc. Great luck!
 
i got a rubbed down cent like that in change once. its a 1964, but has rough edges.
 
You made it a family affair which is a great thing Tab. Two Mercs in one box is pretty darn cool. I love that sound of silver that you mentioned. Kudos.

I think I will try a box of dimes soon just for a change of pace. I will only edge search though....they are just so small.
 
The mercs are so cool looking, but so darn hard to find! Sweet!
 
Nice that you got the family involved. Spending time with loved ones is tops. :)
 
bill dilly said:
a lot of work for dimes that you could buy for less than $4.

Some may think that... I, on the other hand, have fun doing it. Like I said, I had the company of my girls and I paid only $.40 for them.
 
Ive Found about 7 Merks this year in boxes of dimes.

I Was doing boxes of dimes till I switched to halves.

CC
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom