What's new

Box of nickels - 09-29-2007

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of nickels after I finished cashing in some rejects today.

Also picked up $14.50 in loose halves (skunk)

The box was pretty average, but had one nice coin in it.

1 Buffalo (1937-S) <--in Fine to Very Fine shape.

24 pre-1960 Jefferson (1939(2), 1940, 1941(4), 1946-D(2), 1947, 1947-D, 1948-S, 1949, 1952-S, 1954, 1954-D, 1955-D, 1957-D(2), 1958, 1958-D(3), 1959-D)

And strangely, no Canadian nickels.


Also picked up a 1975 Canadian quarter.
 
Upvote 0
Gman,

Out of curiosity what do you do with the immense amount of Canadian coins you must get? (this question could go for anybody, really). I have a collection of Can. pennies, nickels and dimes but only keep one of each year/mint/variety. do you save them all? Do you wait until you go to Canada and cash them in there? Or do you just throw them back in the mix and cash them in?
 
DrDetector said:
Gman,

Out of curiosity what do you do with the immense amount of Canadian coins you must get? (this question could go for anybody, really). I have a collection of Can. pennies, nickels and dimes but only keep one of each year/mint/variety. do you save them all? Do you wait until you go to Canada and cash them in there? Or do you just throw them back in the mix and cash them in?

For now I have been saving them. I decided to start a roll collection for Canadian coins (1 roll for each date/variety of each denom). Once I get completed rolls I am only going to save the older ones. Still TBD exactly what that means, some day soon I'll need to decide, but for now I am suspecting it will be the copper pennies, nickel nickels, and silver dimes and up.

Just this year I have ended up with
3225 Canadian pennies
581 Canadian nickels
377 Canadian dimes
49 Canadian quarters
0 Canadian halves (still want to find one of these)
2-3 Loonies
11 Toonies

$136.25 Face value.

Then of course I have what I saved over all other years, which is about equal to the above numbers, so double everything for an approximate overall total.
 
Most extra Canadian pennies the machine at my bank will take - it rejects the newer ones. As for the other denominations I either put them into rolls or use them to pay tolls.

Brian
 
I used to throw Canadians back (the coins, not the people) but now I keep 'em. In the future I see values going up since the RCM has been quietly melting older copper and nickel coins in favor of the new compositions. They don't take up a lot of room so what the heck.
 
Especially now that the loonie is on par with the dollar. Should really be able to spend them anywhere in US, but that won't happen.

HH.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom