Box of nickels today. Fairly decent finds.

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! Hunted my first box of nickels in a while. Not as many pre 1960s as I used to find... maybe found 15 out of the whole box. Did find 3 silvers though which I thought was good. One was a ender. Thanks for looking! 20141211_154122.jpg 20141211_162428.jpg 20141211_162445.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: just looked up the dates of my pre 1960 nickels and discovered I have a semi key 1952D jefferson.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, 3 war nickels in a box is a very good 'score' rate. Considering the 1959 nickel is now 55 years old and there were only 21 years of relatively lower mintage Jefferson's before that, it's surprising that we still find them even at the reduced rates. I don't think the general public pays attention to nickels.

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, 3 war nickels in a box is a very good 'score' rate. Considering the 1959 nickel is now 55 years old and there were only 21 years of relatively lower mintage Jefferson's before that, it's surprising that we still find them even at the reduced rates. I don't think the general public pays attention to nickels.

Yeah I think your right. I'd say 95% of the people out there wouldn't even know a silver nickel was ever made. They probably get overlooked quite often. My last box I did around a year ago yielded over 200 pre 1960 nickels including many 38's and 39's and 3 silver nickels. Guess I just got lucky on that one.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was a great box!

Here's an odd observation about nickels ... I've been told by a friend that ran booths at a number of craft shows that he rarely saw the number of nickels in his till fluctuate. He was taking them in and giving them out in change but he didn't gain nickels over time. That wasn't the case for the other coins, they needed to be constantly replenished. I noticed a similar thing at my bank. A couple of years ago I turned in some rolled nickels with my mark on the wrapper. Something like a year later I noticed the teller still had my rolls!

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was a great box!

Here's an odd observation about nickels ... I've been told by a friend that ran booths at a number of craft shows that he rarely saw the number of nickels in his till fluctuate. He was taking them in and giving them out in change but he didn't gain nickels over time. That wasn't the case for the other coins, they needed to be constantly replenished. I noticed a similar thing at my bank. A couple of years ago I turned in some rolled nickels with my mark on the wrapper. Something like a year later I noticed the teller still had my rolls!

Wow that is odd... I guess because of their size and weight maybe? I mean look at a stack of 1$ in dimes compared to a stack of 1$ in nickels. No wonder no one wants to carry them around! I had forgot how freakin heavy a box of nickels was until today haha. I guess the nickel was created when they were still trying to base the face value off metal content. I think downsizing the coin would be beneficial... but it will never happen because the size has been kept the same for what... almost 150 years?

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I cant complain though... we could be still carrying around large cents. Bahaha

arkynative

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a vending company and because of price points we have to keep a bag of nickels with us to refill the coin mechs as dimes and quarters replenish but nickels don't. I've only really been looking for keepers for a couple of years now but because of the setup of newer coin mechs and the magnetic signatures of silver vs other metals the war nickels show up about 2 to 1 compared to dimes. In fact I've found 2 war nickels this week already. I started keeping a journal of finds a little over a year ago and I have averaged 6-7 silvers a month, with only 3 quarters over that span.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense for vending machines, not many people are going to feed the machines nickels but depending on the pricing of the items for sale, you may give a nickel in change almost every time. Of course if the machine runs out of dimes it can always use nickels for change.

I have seen a statistical study that explains why the nickel is the least used of the coins; a too simple explanation is you only need 1 nickel to make fractional dollar change for any single transaction, assuming you have the necessary cent, dime, and quarter quantities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread