What's new

Brass and copper whatsits

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2018
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
7,457
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are a couple of first finds at a new maybe virgin site unsure of age but it did show on the 1959 aerial map, the pointy thing is copper and was thinking lightning rod tip, no idea what the brass object is..scroll down for more pics
 

Attachments

  • 20190515_073716[1].webp
    20190515_073716[1].webp
    428.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190515_073742[1].webp
    20190515_073742[1].webp
    463.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190515_073803[1].webp
    20190515_073803[1].webp
    384.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Lightning rod spike is a safe bet. The brass may be from a bedstead.
 
Upvote 0
The brass item i think is industrial of some sort, it seems thicker then brass for a bed, the square hole and the slot both show signs of wear, the hole that looks like it has dirt in it is acutely a counter sunk slot 45 degrees from the square hole..
 
Upvote 0
The brass item i think is industrial of some sort, it seems thicker then brass for a bed, the square hole and the slot both show signs of wear, the hole that looks like it has dirt in it is acutely a counter sunk slot 45 degrees from the square hole..

Head from a vintage dead blow hammer (remains)?

vintage-strikon-100-soft-dead-blow_1_e8e90b18dd5e8d22965af48f0b79f9f3.webp
 
Upvote 0
My first impression is that it's the remains of a valve.....missing the guts and lever. I would think it would have a hole that went all the way through it for the valve though.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first impression is that it's the remains of a valve.....missing the guts and lever. I would think it would have a hole that went all the way through it for the valve though.

I thought valve at first as well. But the more I look at it, the more I think it is the remains of the head of a soft-face hammer of some kind. Like this:

s-l1600.webp
 
Upvote 0
A hammer head would be solid with attachments for the soft heads and a hole going all the way through for the handle.
The hole going through looks smooth and straight sided other than the square hole and the little round one.
Is the counter sunk slot directly on the other side from the square hole and does it penetrate into the center??
I hope some of these questions and observations will help in the ID, because I have no idea what it is.
 
Upvote 0
My first impression is that it's the remains of a valve.....missing the guts and lever. I would think it would have a hole that went all the way through it for the valve though.

I agree.
 
Upvote 0
added some more pics, I like the valve idea but like what was said the hole doesnt go all the way through....its a head scratchier

20190516_065852[1].webp20190516_065932[1].webp20190516_065942[1].webp20190516_070031[1].webp20190516_070051[1].webp
 
Upvote 0
I see some wear i didnt notice till looking at the pics, the first pic has a wear mark above the wore out slot, seems like some sort of ball joint
 
Upvote 0
Ball valve is a good guess but this piece doesnt have any threads and no way of holding the ball... i googled ball valve and could not find a example similar to this, if you can find a pic please share
 
Upvote 0
The more I look at it, the more I think DCMatt is correct.....part of a brass bed frame. The square hole looks like it held a headboard or footboard bar. The large round holes hold the main frame tubes.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty hard to turn the ball in a ball valve with a square hole... just saying
 
Upvote 0
Could that be some kind of T-piece? For an old low pressure gravity heating for example.



Greets Namxat
 
Upvote 0
I thought valve at first as well. But the more I look at it, the more I think it is the remains of the head of a soft-face hammer of some kind. Like this:

View attachment 1712725

Except that the handle hole is the wrong shape and the hole where the rubber heads attach is smooth with no way to fasten them securely, short of glue. There is also what appears to be another hole or mounting point 90 degrees from the square hole. Also, cast hammer heads are usually sorta flat on the sides instead of round, like what your sample here shows.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom