21.8 KB · Views: 832

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Michelle, You guys and gals are good. So whats up no more ideas. Found in the yard, house was built in 1870, found near the front porch.
I have told everyone how good you folks are and you would know

Maybe it functions as both a switch and a "latch". The round piece looks like a contact point of some kind, basd on the corrosion that is visible. That implies an electrical function. I'm beginning to think that it might have been part of an old switching system for electrical cables that provided power to neighborhoods. One part of the round contact would have been stationary, the other half would have been moved into or out of place with a lever so the power could be cut off when repairs were needed. When electricity was first run to neighborhoods the power needs were a lot less. The power lines drooped between poles because they didn't need to be pulled tight like they are now. Homes had a 30 amp or less service, and often the only electricity was to a single light bulb in the ceiling of each room. The fly in the ointment is that I don't know if brass was used for that purpose. Copper is a much better conductor.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about this...any model train conductors out there? Ever seen a switch to operate a train like this? Just a thought!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Michelle said:
How about this...any model train conductors out there? Ever seen a switch to operate a train like this? Just a thought!
Sorry, I "really do" appreciate your help, your good. But go with the latch idea, everyone that holds it in their hands, say it's some sort of latch. I have the major hinged part moving freely, I'm working on the other part as we type. Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
That's what I thought. I've looked at a gazillion and can't find anything close. The weird part is the way it is mounted to whatever. It looks like it mounts solid but one side is about a 1/2" lower than the part with the latch, hook thing.
I even thought a part to a horse drawn wagon that maybe delivered ice. I live right across the road from the river, can't find a piece like it.
Some one mentioned a door stop, holds door open. Can't figure how it would mount.
It's pretty heavy duty had to be something fairly big or heavy.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this will slide only so far,and then it raises into the small space , the rest that has like a sharp edge, sits into a hole to secure it .

Attachments

• thingy better 2.JPG
    thingy better 2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 647
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Coll, I have not figured the draw and mark thing out yet. The knob I'm not sure it turns? The pivot part does move and flips 3/4 of the way back. The latch it self moves or will, and has a small slot just to the right of it and on the straight edge, above the slot is another type of catch.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see the screw and the silver clamp under it ? its to hold a wire....and the long cleet part sits into a recess so it tighten as it is screwed down."CLAMP"

Attachments

• elrcxc27a.jpg
    elrcxc27a.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 637
Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, looks like an ajustable guide or gib setter of a late 1900,s machinery table.

tinpan

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Hi everyone, looks like an ajustable guide or gib setter of a late 1900,s machinery table.

tinpan
Hey Tinpan, looks real close.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: Brass latch thingy? New pictures

I really appreciate the help and not to be disrespectful but I have searched and search and don't find anything that mathes up even close. So new pictures with red (got it Michelle) marks why I think more like a lock (skip the latch word) I have tried thinking out side the box but end up right back where I started.

Attachments

• brass 4.JPG
    brass 4.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 565
  • brass 3.JPG
    brass 3.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 576
  • brass2.JPG
    brass2.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 581
  • brass1.JPG
    brass1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi paul,nice to hear from you. ;D ;D ;D The only black smoke coming out of a muffler is yours. ;D ;D ;D Seems the value-stem seals have gone and you better get the head fixed. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a seriously thick piece of brass! Looks like it was designed to withstand stress or pressure. Possibly part of a hatch latch from a ship?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
DCMatt said:
That is a seriously thick piece of brass! Looks like it was designed to withstand stress or pressure. Possibly part of a hatch latch from a ship?

DCMatt
Now I like your way of thinking! I'll start looking at old ships.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
tinpan said:
Hi paul,nice to hear from you. ;D ;D ;D The only black smoke coming out of a muffler is yours. ;D ;D ;D Seems the value-stem seals have gone and you better get the head fixed. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan
Fix the head? Why not just put in new valve seals? (hee hee)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:

tinpan
:D :D ;) ;)

Upvote 0

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooh, this is frustrating :D
I'm still having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly how it moves, in spite of all the pix. duh. But I get the impression that the knob is on an arm that is jointed and "locks" into place? Think it may be a kind of "draw-clamp" latch - got a pick of a totally different design, but does it seem like similar concept? (one side is jointed, extends to loop around other piece, and draw it back and clamp it tight? Other pix included for ideas...

Attachments

• B000A2B9XU.01-A30PZORRRWXZE6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55461592_.jpg
    B000A2B9XU.01-A30PZORRRWXZE6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55461592_.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Thumb21063.jpg
    Thumb21063.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 494
  • Y3619_sat_ant_brass_01_small.jpg
    Y3619_sat_ant_brass_01_small.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The concept is there. I am totally frustrated, I have spent hours (too many) looking at every latch, lock, electrical device, gib cutter, and even muffler bearings (ha ha on the muffler part). Locks and latches from barns to homes, to horse and buggy wagons, to ice boxes. Urghhh! Thought PBK would get it, guess not. Thanks for the help Lara.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread