Brass latch thingy?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Found this in the yard yesterday, all brass except for maybe the round knob. Has the letters MLC (may be a G) stamped on the back. Moves (or used to) in two places on the latch part. Any ideas on what it is and or what it was used for? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• latch2.jpg
    latch2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 832

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps to an old RV or Tagalong camper??? Safety latches that are on the cabinets MAYBE???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
detector de metales said:
Its a door stop, the "latch" comes down and keeps the door open the other part is connected to the door.
I can not figure how it would mount, one end is higher than the other, would end up stubbing your toe on the high end?

Upvote 0

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's another idea: when I was looking at the old brass hardware websites (I mean really, Kim - I do have a job ::) lol) I saw some latches that were designed for those foldable tables, I'll try to find a pic, or similarly: like on a dining room table that takes extra pieces (leaves?? all of a sudden "leaf" didn't sound like the right word. duh.) But on the under side of our dining table, when you make it the smallest, it has clampy-type latches to hold it together. Whaddya think?
Lara

Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone,How about a seed or fertillizer ajustable lock for the amount to be released on a farm combine.also when you replace value stem seals you usualy reco the whole head. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
tinpan said:
hi everyone,How about a seed or fertillizer ajustable lock for the amount to be released on a farm combine.also when you replace value stem seals you usualy reco the whole head. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan
If it is an older vehicle you may want to redo the head also. ;)
Thanks Tin and Lara more things to look at. What an annoying, heavy, brass piece of ???

Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final guess,i think it could be a brake lock handle off an early steam carriage or tram or steam tractor.I believe that by the design its ages between 1870-1920.

tinpan P.S i hope newer cars don,t blow smoke. ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Country Girl, do you have Macro on your camera for close ups? Your pics are coming across blurry. It is usually a flower icon on your camera.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Another try, cleaned up a little more.

Attachments

• 1brass.JPG
    1brass.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 401
  • 2brass.JPG
    2brass.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 396
  • 3brass.JPG
    3brass.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 4brass.JPG
    4brass.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
tinpan said:
Final guess,i think it could be a brake lock handle off an early steam carriage or tram or steam tractor.I believe that by the design its ages between 1870-1920.

tinpan P.S i hope newer cars don,t blow smoke. ;D ;D ;D
Some of the s-10's do.
I tried the steam engine thing too.......Can't find a match. Telegraph thing was the closest but I don't think so too heavy. I will probablt never know, but it is a cool conversation piece. People keep asking do you know whaat it is yet? So what is it? I growl a little, sigh a little, Shrug the shoulders.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wash it all away and TRY OLD TELEPHONE PARTS.......YEP! LOOKING!

Upvote 0

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
The "foot" what does it consist of?
I'm thinking something more modern than I guess the rest of you. I'm thinking still a part to a door. Maybe instead of a door stop then a door striker?? ( you know the one that doesn't let the door hit the wall etc). does that hole allow for insertion into a hinge?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
There is a piece that sticks out next to the hinged part with a slot below it that looks like a key weigh of some sort may insert into it. It is offset from the hinged part (to the right of it). Trying to remember where I saw that one particular piece of the hole puzzle. Can't. What really messes me up is how it would mount ,the part with the hole would be out further than the part with the hinged latch.??????????

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
COUNTRY GIRL said:
There is a piece that sticks out next to the hinged part with a slot below it that looks like a key weigh of some sort may insert into it. It is offset from the hinged part (to the right of it). Trying to remember where I saw that one particular piece of the hole puzzle. Can't. What really messes me up is how it would mount ,the part with the hole would be out further than the part with the hinged latch.??????????
picture 1 & 2 on the blue towel.

Upvote 0

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
;D That is one conversation piece you have there..... I do not have a clue as to what it is.... But will keep watching this topic to see who gets it. ::)

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread