What's new

Brass Sword Hilt (thanks to Lucus) UPDATED with new message SWORD FOUND

woody50

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
1,889
Reaction score
227
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this some time ago, but still don't know what it is.
The object is 19 cm (7 1/2") long and the metal appears to be brass.

SEE NEW MESSAGE from me about sword found!
 

Attachments

  • Front and back 1.webp
    Front and back 1.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 618
  • Top and Bottom 1.webp
    Top and Bottom 1.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 680
  • tip of object.webp
    tip of object.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 569
Re: Brass... hmm... well something....

Sweet sword hilt :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass... hmm... well something....

Wow, Jeeze your guys are not normal, Lucus took only 18 minutes to get this determined, and IronSpike was in there only a few minutes later. Thanks very much, both of you. At least now I know I cannot use it for the keg of beer that you can buy nowadays....

Now that I know what it is, I googled it and found a few more of them, the running count was 76,200 hits... I feel dumb, but of course I can say I have never seen (or paid attention to) a sword hilt. Looked at a few pages of them and came across this one, which looks pretty close!
 

Attachments

  • SwordHilt 4.webp
    SwordHilt 4.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0
Re: Brass... hmm... well something....

Lucas got the ID :hello2: I just agreed ;D

I think you got the right era for the sword :icon_thumright: Would be cool if we can find the match :read2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass... hmm... well something....

VERY nice!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass... hmm... well something....

18 minutes? :o

No, one glance was all it took. :laughing9:

Quality is not great, so I would look at military issue, say 1725-1775. It does look like it has some gilding though. Lots going on in the Netherlands in those years.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Brass... hmm... well something....

Lucas said:
18 minutes? :o
No, one glance was all it took. :laughing9:
Quality is not great, so I would look at military issue, say 1725-1775. It does look like it has some gilding though. Lots going on in the Netherlands in those years.
Yea, I posted my message at 7:01 and you at 7:19 (I guess you had to do something in between) :icon_pirat:
I don't see any gilding, you see the shine of the brass. It was almost clean when it came out of the ground. You see that also with good metal such as this sword hilt, they don't really go bad. Coins, from along ago were good, pure metal, that stayed good for quite a long time compared to the new coins from today. The Euros are exceptionally bad. The copper ones rust withing a few weeks, the gold colored ones get very discolored after being in the ground for some time. And the 1 and 2 euros is not any better. Funny to find a euro that has been in the ground since 2001 (deep) which is corroded, and a nickle gulden (before the Euro) that has been in the ground for 25 years and is still clean. But this hilt did not have to be cleaned up much at all.

Yes the Netherlands as it is today has not existed for long, since 1815. Before that it was a mess.
 
Upvote 0
I really don't believe it but I sent the information about the sword hilt to my detecting club (closed with 4 members). Theo just sent me a message:

"Strange two months back I happen to have a similar (sword, sword, saber, or rapier) for someone cleaned and preserved, it was found in the water alongside a boat in the port of Durgerdam (my hometown).

I hereby send a few pictures with the sword, before and after cleaning.
It looks really authentic from, and how it ended up there is a mystery.
"
It sure is a great great find! Wish I could have found it!
 

Attachments

  • Onbewerkt.webp
    Onbewerkt.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • Bewerkt 01.webp
    Bewerkt 01.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 412
  • Bewerkt 02.webp
    Bewerkt 02.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
I think both of them are awesome :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: Thanks for sharing WOODY50 :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
The best place to get more information about your sword block is from the international sword forum. Membership is free, and the members there are very knowledgeable. They also love to hear about detectorists digging/recovering relic-condition swords.

Here's the URL: www.swordforum.com


Regards,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
I think both of them are awesome :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: Thanks for sharing WOODY50 :hello2:
No problem IronSpike, this is the way we learn. Everyone knows something that others don't, and to share is great, that is why the Internet is just great. Everyone is sharing for free, well the most in any case. Thanks for your message.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
The best place to get more information about your sword block is from the international sword forum. Membership is free, and the members there are very knowledgeable. They also love to hear about detectorists digging/recovering relic-condition swords.
Here's the URL: www.swordforum.com
Regards,
Buckles
Thanks Buckles, great that you give us that link, it sure looks like a fantastic site. Will send them the details and photos... thanks again.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom