SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a brass vile that I was convinced had cremated human ashes inside or something like that I couldn't get it open until I got home but turns out it's Revlon vintage lipstick from the 1950's........oh well no golden tooth for me today!
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Sorry no ashes😳

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Which is worse , clean from incineration ashes? Or something someone wiped thier mouth with?

I might leave ashes secured where found. But like you would want to know it's ashes for sure. (I think.)
Not that I'm likely to find a lipstick tube full of gold dust. But reburying it without checking , might up the odds.
L.o.l..

OP
OP
Thekingd93

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44
Which is worse , clean from incineration ashes? Or something someone wiped thier mouth with?

I might leave ashes secured where found. But like you would want to know it's ashes for sure. (I think.)
Not that I'm likely to find a lipstick tube full of gold dust. But reburying it without checking , might up the odds.
L.o.l..
If you knew the area I was metal detecting, I bet you would understand why I thought this could possibly be a vile with ashes or teeth with gold fillings lol. Let's just say some scary things happened in this spot back in the 1800s and finding anything directly related to those events would be amazing.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve found two of those lipstick tubes over the past few years and never once thought about human ashes being inside.
Now that you’ve mentioned it I’ll be thinking twice about opening them up when I find them in the future.

Don’t humans result in more ashes than would fit in a lipstick tube?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve found two of those lipstick tubes over the past few years and never once thought about human ashes being inside.
Now that you’ve mentioned it I’ll be thinking twice about opening them up when I find them in the future.

It's the ones that rattle that have me intrigued. Always just a blob of red/pink lipstick inside.
( Though a buddy found one newer one that had a gram of hash in it)

Folks bury/spread/keep a little ashes in a locket/container of sorts.
Not out of the box of a little being put in a lipstick tube and being placed somewhere.
Now if the woman used Ruby Red lipstick, always needed to have it applied perfect, was her signature in life. I could see a little bit of ashes being placed in a tube and placed at one of her favourite spots.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Average adult male produces around 6 pounds of ashes which takes up 200 cubic inches of space.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dad's ashes are multiple places.

And of course people can get creative sometimes...
The things ashes can be made part of that businesses offer are interesting.
Maybe some ashes are the equivalent of old lockets with hair in them?

OP
OP
Thekingd93

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44

Someone at my place of employment lost a necklace with a very similar shape and size of the lipstick tube I found. It had small amount of ashes inside. It was found inside the facility and returned to the owner.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a brass vile that I was convinced had cremated human ashes inside or something like that I couldn't get it open until I got home but turns out it's Revlon vintage lipstick from the 1950's........oh well no golden tooth for me today!
human remains are a little creepy for me, i'd rather have the lipstick tube. cool find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread