What's new

Breast plate and half of a sash buckle.

Dr Plugs

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2023
Messages
162
Reaction score
1,310
Golden Thread
0
My buddy and I search and hunt mainly early colonial sites. We have never intentionally looked for civil war sites.

But the area we live in is very rich in rev war and civil war activity, so alot of times these eras cross paths at alot of these sites. He found this breast plate, and sash buckle at a spot where an old log cabin once stood. It seemed they were just thrown out back of the cabin for "trash" back then as they were only 10 feet apart.

We have done very good over the last 3 years with civil war artifacts, especially for not looking for them. So far we have 2 very nice breast plates, I have a U.S. belt buckle, a union soldiers sword belt buckle, "both pieces of it", many dropped bullets, batwing sling tip, lost barrel band off of a musket, and many buttons. It's great to live in an area so rich in every aspect of our countries history.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20251025_111233_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20251025_111233_Gallery.webp
    285.5 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
My buddy and I search and hunt mainly early colonial sites. We have never intentionally looked for civil war sites.

But the area we live in is very rich in rev war and civil war activity, so alot of times these eras cross paths at alot of these sites. He found this breast plate, and sash buckle at a spot where an old log cabin once stood. It seemed they were just thrown out back of the cabin for "trash" back then as they were only 10 feet apart.

We have done very good over the last 3 years with civil war artifacts, especially for not looking for them. So far we have 2 very nice breast plates, I have a U.S. belt buckle, a union soldiers sword belt buckle, "both pieces of it", many dropped bullets, batwing sling tip, lost barrel band off of a musket, and many buttons. It's great to live in an area so rich in every aspect of our countries history.
Congratulations on your finds :) WHat state are you in ?
 
Nice finds!
 
This is one awesome recovery!! Congratulations
 
My buddy and I search and hunt mainly early colonial sites. We have never intentionally looked for civil war sites.

But the area we live in is very rich in rev war and civil war activity, so alot of times these eras cross paths at alot of these sites. He found this breast plate, and sash buckle at a spot where an old log cabin once stood. It seemed they were just thrown out back of the cabin for "trash" back then as they were only 10 feet apart.

We have done very good over the last 3 years with civil war artifacts, especially for not looking for them. So far we have 2 very nice breast plates, I have a U.S. belt buckle, a union soldiers sword belt buckle, "both pieces of it", many dropped bullets, batwing sling tip, lost barrel band off of a musket, and many buttons. It's great to live in an area so rich in every aspect of our countries history.
Stamped or cast?
 
Stamped or cast?
Forgive me bud, but I'm not sure I understand your question. I believe the civil war breast plates were stamped and then the back was lead filled. The sash buckle im totally not sure how they were made.
 
My buddy and I search and hunt mainly early colonial sites. We have never intentionally looked for civil war sites.

But the area we live in is very rich in rev war and civil war activity, so alot of times these eras cross paths at alot of these sites. He found this breast plate, and sash buckle at a spot where an old log cabin once stood. It seemed they were just thrown out back of the cabin for "trash" back then as they were only 10 feet apart.

We have done very good over the last 3 years with civil war artifacts, especially for not looking for them. So far we have 2 very nice breast plates, I have a U.S. belt buckle, a union soldiers sword belt buckle, "both pieces of it", many dropped bullets, batwing sling tip, lost barrel band off of a musket, and many buttons. It's great to live in an area so rich in every aspect of our countries history.
Sweet digs
 
Forgive me bud, but I'm not sure I understand your question. I believe the civil war breast plates were stamped and then the back was lead filled. The sash buckle im totally not sure how they were made.
I was wondering mostly about the sash buckle. Out west, stamped thin tongue and wreath buckles were commonly sold with a canvas belt during the late 1840’s to 1850’s. These types of “sash buckles’ typically did not last long.

I was wondering if military or militia buckles were also sometimes stamped thin vs. heavy cast.

I do have a heavy cast patriotic tongue and wreath buckle that I think dates to the 1850’s - 1860’s Just trying to learn.
 
Congrats on a nice pair of Civil War relics.
 
Great saves, congratulations!
 
Your killing it keep it up before it is gone. Thanks for sharing a hard sought after item.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom