Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this...
Fire clay is used to make fire bricks and is generally found under the coal seams. Fire clay contains two major constituents- silica and alumina, of which, the silica percentage varies from 60 to 70% and alumina varies from 25 to 35%.
Some other constituents such as oxides of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and titanium are also present in fireclay. However, the percentage of constituents other than silica and alumina does not exceed 5% in the case of good fire clay.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Found this...
Fire clay is used to make fire bricks and is generally found under the coal seams. Fire clay contains two major constituents- silica and alumina, of which, the silica percentage varies from 60 to 70% and alumina varies from 25 to 35%.
Some other constituents such as oxides of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and titanium are also present in fireclay. However, the percentage of constituents other than silica and alumina does not exceed 5% in the case of good fire clay.
Yeah I discovered this yesterday searching one of our areas, I was rooting around in a pile of demolition debris and kept getting this weak signal amongst all the brick that I couldn't ever pin down......until I picked up a piece of brick and held the pinpointer up to it. Well whaddya know! Messing with the noisy ass mag in my phone I've been able to pick up some weird stuff but I never figured a metal detector would pick up on it. Surprise, surprise. Actually the potential for finding a buried foundation with a metal detector isn't a bad thing at all, very helpful actually, this is one ya might take note on folks, I might go try this on asphalt too just to see what I get. I'm gonna try my luck on certain ceramics as well. If I find anything hot I promise to report

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread