Brinks owes me $10....

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This afternoon I picked up four boxes of halves I ordered from the bank. They were all nice sealed Brinks cubes. Hopes were high, because last Monday I pulled out (14) 40% and (4) 90% out of four similar Brinks boxes from this bank. So, I get home and begin in earnest... Boxes #1 - 3, all skunks. OK, not a big deal. Opened box #4... glaring up at me is an empty space in the lower left corner of the box. Counted all the rolls to be sure. Sure enough, only 49 rolls. Of course, box #4 was silver-free as well. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I don't mind skunks, as its part of the challenge. I **do** mind being ripped-off, however.

Since I'm new to CRHing, I don't have a feel for how often things like this happens. Is this just a fluke, or does it happen more often than it should?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why you check the holes before you leave the bank. Unless you have a good relationship with the bank, you can probably kiss that $10 goodbye.

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why you check the holes before you leave the bank. Unless you have a good relationship with the bank, you can probably kiss that $10 goodbye.

I've definitely kissed the $10 goodbye, and also know better than to say anything to the bank. They really have nothing to do with it-- all they did was order them for me and store the boxes in their vault for about one hour until I arrived to pick them up. At any rate, the boxes were square cubes with no holes. No way to check the contents without slitting open the brown sealing tape and opening them in the bank. That would be a bit crass, not to mention a pain.

Oh well, hope this doesn't come up too often.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's crass. Do what you have to do to make sure the rolls are all there. After all, you are exchanging money for money.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes thats the price you pay in this hobby.. I get shorted by dumping in a coinsorter one week and get an extra $5 the next..

I turn the boxes and feel for shifting (missing rolls) before I leave the bank.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had short rolls but never a missing roll. There are no holes to check with the Brinks boxes. One thing you can do is get a postal scale that goes up to 35 lbs. and weigh each box before leaving to make sure it's around 25 lbs. If it's 8 ozs. low, a roll is missing. Brinks ripped you off and made $10. Once you leave the branch, or even if the bank employees aren't watching, there's no way for you to prove that you did not just pocket the 50th roll, which is why it's important to check the boxes in the presence of a teller. In that case, if a roll is missing, they shouldn't hold it against you -- they should hold it against Brinks.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the same exact crap happen to me yesterday, I was shorted by several in a roll, likely an ender. The box was superglued at the top, and would not come off like it usually does, and ended up ripping it. Then one of the rolls were messed up. I'm sure these armoured truckers do this kind of crap all the time.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is crass either. It is just the same as you counting the paper currency while the teller does or after the teller hands it back to you and before you walk away. Mistakes happen, and you are just verifying. I get flat boxes with the holes and always check. If I got a Brinks cube, I would do as suggested before and roll the box to see if the coins move around, and if they did, open the box in front of the teller and count. They will give you back the shorted amount then.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes thats the price you pay in this hobby.. I get shorted by dumping in a coinsorter one week and get an extra $5 the next..

I turn the boxes and feel for shifting (missing rolls) before I leave the bank.
open it in front of them.
cooper

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is any doubt, I would just open the box real qwik in front of them ( it takes 2 sec to open a brinks box), they are not going to be offended at all. I opened every one of the repacks I got right in front of them when I got them to show them what was being sent out, they didn't have a problem with it at all, when in doubt, open it! HH, Maverick.

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Hmmm...wait a minute...you say you pulled silver from BRINKS boxes? How can that be?

Very simple your bank will take excess coin run through their sorter, bag by denomination it and send it to Brinks who does the same the Brinks people do not look at the coins dumped into their sorter. I have gotten Indian Heads in cents boxes from Brinks, along with a lot of clad dimes that slipped in and of course a lot of foreign coins as well. Nickle boxes from Brinks I have gotten a V nickel many Buffaloes and many Silver war nickels. Most banks do not have a coin sorter in the lobby and a lot do not even have one in the bank especially smaller branches and those will not take large amounts of loose coin so you must bring it in wrapped.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very simple your bank will take excess coin run through their sorter, bag by denomination it and send it to Brinks who does the same the Brinks people do not look at the coins dumped into their sorter. I have gotten Indian Heads in cents boxes from Brinks, along with a lot of clad dimes that slipped in and of course a lot of foreign coins as well. Nickle boxes from Brinks I have gotten a V nickel many Buffaloes and many Silver war nickels. Most banks do not have a coin sorter in the lobby and a lot do not even have one in the bank especially smaller branches and those will not take large amounts of loose coin so you must bring it in wrapped.

I think he was being sarcastic, as brinks is usually pretty awful for halves/dimes. I agree with you though Bell-Two, brinks treats me nicely for cents, nickels, and even quarters.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brinks owes me more then $10 in missing rolls, but they give me silver a face value, so I forgive them.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My worst was buying a bag off a machine that was $80 light. My best score ever came out of a coin machine and contained 65 x 90% and 21 x 40% halves. Win some loose some.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its happened to me about 5 times in the last 2 years over the course of ~ 1.5 million searched.

definitely not a common occurence.

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its happened to me about 5 times in the last 2 years over the course of ~ 1.5 million searched.

definitely not a common occurence.

Thanks, Bigheed! I'll go with the premise that it isn't often... plus, today I'm in one of those moods where I only want to hear what I want to hear!

Bell-Two-- nice to see you on this board! Once the snow goes away, I'll be getting back out MDing. See ya on the BTH forum!

And thanks to everyone else for their input. Much appreciated.

GO BUCKS! BEAT MICHIGAN! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread