British 18th Century Token?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas appreciated. It's the same diameter as a George III halfpenny, but thinner.

DSC_0042.JPG

I'm not even sure that's the right way up. The design is incusely stamped and I suspect this may have been a currency halfpenny that had worn flat in circulation and then been unofficially merchant-stamped to give it a new lease of life as a token. Nothing visible on the other side.

Appreciate any opinions.

Upvote 10

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you turn the token counter clockwise I see possibly AR? maybe?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you are right about stamped half penny, I think I see the faint outline of a head (facing left if my eyes serve me right. I know it wouldn't be KGIII then, but possibly a foreign coin?). Who stamped it and why though is beyond me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right about stamped half penny, I think I see the faint outline of a head (facing left if my eyes serve me right. I know it wouldn't be KGIII then, but possibly a foreign coin?). Who stamped it and why though is beyond me.

Thanks. It's ~28mm so, although I said "same diameter as George III", it could also be George II (which could then be even more worn). I really struggle to see any underlying detail though.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Red. I think you're intuition is valid. Here in Sonora the state minted copper quarter reales from 1832-38 were so counterfeited that the state simply remarked them at one sixteenth reale with a new post mark. There was a shortage of currency and a surplus of gold and miners that needed currency. At the same time there were many "company stores" that issued tokens to purchase basic goods. These tokens and forged coins worked until a new system was devised. This example may be a window into a specific regions history and needs. Now they are yours to enjoy.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. It's ~28mm so, although I said "same diameter as George III", it could also be George II (which could then be even more worn). I really struggle to see any underlying detail though.
Now I'm looking at it and seeing a face looking the other way. Just ignore me. :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a counter-stamped blank (worn) copper coin.(Halfpennies were the most popular choice) Very hard to ID the makers counter-stamp. (common in the 19th C, started a little earlier)

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a counter-stamped blank (worn) copper coin.(Halfpennies were the most popular choice) Very hard to ID the makers counter-stamp. (common in the 19th C, started a little earlier)

Thanks Crusader.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool old copper and interesting markings! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome I like tokens more than most silver Thats a beauty great way to add to your collection

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
so many maverick counterstamp tokens out there, always a fun find
I've probably found a dozen that have never been attributed, although it's always a fun challenge!
good find

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and a keeper.
I'd rather dig a counter stamped, or an altered coin, than just a run of the mill drop/lost piece of early coinage.
It gives it an extra special snap. (That just my feeling now after 50yrs+ of dirt digging)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread