British Saxon line of detectors?

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seem to be fairly basic machines, will detect deep but the vlfs do not like salt mineralisation and are best suited to lo through moderate iron mineralisation. Good Relic machine. I think the latest machine has manual ground balance, Auto tune and Iron Disc.
That,s about all I have found out about these detectors
Cheers,
Adrian

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Thanks Adrian. I see your from Austrailia! Been doing any nugget hunting? Been watching YouTube about it and seems like you can just walk out your back door and pick big ones up! Ha Ha LoL

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
G/day LX KID.
Plenty of gold being found here (none in my back yard) Mainly in North Eastern Victoria and in Western Australia. WA is covered in gold but its desert country, hot dry and very very rugged in places the ground can be as hard as concrete. Not a nice place to get lost in.The gold can be big nuggets or small stuff near the surface ( GPX 4500s are cleaning up the small stuff) Iron ore mineralisation is prolific, so you need a very good detector and know how to survive in desert country.
Pretty much all of Australia is covered by mining leases of one kind or another.
Cheers,
Adrian SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheaper models are switch on and go, though the 45 has an adjustable gain control.
Built like tanks and rather heavy, though an improvement on the models they replace.
Do suit medium mineralisation better. If in the U.S. I would pick an American detector in the same price range as the Saxon's depth is unlikely to be better and the U.S. warranties are hard to beat. The advantage is that they do work well in heavy iron conditions. On a beach where a storm had moved some sand dunes sideways leaving flat areas covered in rusty nails (and lots of coins) the Saxon could be swept with only coins and the nails with 90 degree bends sounding off which was better than the other big brand machines I tried to use.
So if you have a site that you think might suit the 45 could be a good buy.

The Saxon X1 Ultradepth is a different kettle of fish. Similar in design to the famous Arado 120, 120b and 130 designs but deeper. U.K. price is £1700 which puts it above the new Arado 320 which is the latest in this type of detector ie all metal/non motion primary search mode with ferrous I.D. by meter.
Again rather heavy compared to most modern machines and the larger than standard coil can act a bit like a sail in high winds.
Lots got sold to Italy as they are a serious pro machine rather than a park coinshooter. Single frequency which together with the larger coil size means not suited to wet sand.
If you don't mind checking out every signal and have the right site it could be a good choice. The ground adjustment control puts it in a higher league than the Arado 120/130's. Again if I was in the States I would go for the Nautilus version of this type of detector. The split audio does a similar job to the meter of the Ultradepth, there's a better coil choice, weight/balance is better if you have the latest Whites shaft version and the detector isn't going to have to go abroad for tune up or repair.
Cost is also a big consideration with the Nautilus DMC and ALL coil sizes coming in at half the price of the Ultradepth.

I've not helped our balance of payments problem here (Britains in deep doo) but if you want bangs for your bucks you need to shop at home. I've no longer got a Saxon X-1 but I do have two Nautilus DMC's which says it all.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Thank you very much U.K. Brian! I was really wondering about European metal detectors and ran across a picture of the Saxon and had sparked a little interest. Seems you educated me quite a bit on this line of detectors. Thanks again, LX Kid, Tampa, FL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions