What's new

Broke out of the slump, first colonial copper in a while. Any help on ID?

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out today to a new spot, after an hour and a half I left after not finding anything. I decided to drive to my trusty spot and after hunting there, my buddy went to a 1920's trash pile there and I decided to metal detecting 100 feet from a stream. I got a signal that I figured was a shotgun shell and dug. There it was, my first colonial copper since May 30th. My copper count since 2014 is now up to 15.

Any help with ID? It looks like a King Charles II Copper but I am not sure. Thinner than most coppers too.
IMG_20150712_142503.webpIMG_20150712_154411.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 16
Hard to see French maybe? Not British anyways
 
Wow, 15 large coppers the past 2 years. :occasion14: I am at 2, found both this year.
 
Hard to see French maybe? Not British anyways

Not sure if french, the bust does not seem to match any of the ones in my collection.
 
hard to tell from the pics, hmm, good luck with whatever it is!!1
 
COINMAN NICE BY GEORGE YOU GOT THERE.
 
Looks like a 1790's French 12 Deniers to me. Hard to tell but the eye really seems to match. The 12 Deniers might be the wrong denomination, but I think the bust is right.
 
Looks like a 1790's French 12 Deniers to me. Hard to tell but the eye really seems to match. The 12 Deniers might be the wrong denomination, but I think the bust is right.

Maybe, the 1792 12 denier I bought from my coin shop is way thicker with an edge design though, the bust is slightly different too.
 
Maybe, the 1792 12 denier I bought from my coin shop is way thicker with an edge design though, the bust is slightly different too.

Yeah, I forgot the part where you said thin. As I recall those 1790's French coppers went close to a 1/8" thick.
 
Soak it in some extra virgin olive oil and you will get enough detail to ID it.
 
any chance it's some 1820s or 1830s Canada bank token? They show up from time to time in new England.
 
any chance it's some 1820s or 1830s Canada bank token? They show up from time to time in new England.

Could be... seems similar style to some. Iron Patch is good at that stuff, maybe he will chime in.
 
Congrats! Hope you can get a date on it!
 
the VDI was as low as a shotgun shell? could be a counterfeit then
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom