What's new

Broken or repurposed? plus a heartbreaker

hbrown22

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
385
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a good rain today, so we decided to see what washed up on the side of the road near the creek. Husband found the good stuff, #1, 2, & 3 and I found the last two.

#1-the heartbreaker. Pretty sure this is a broken point, not a scraper. 2" long, 1 1/4" across. Correct me if I'm wrong, only way I'll learn :)

IMG_8907.webp IMG_8908.webp IMG_8909.webp IMG_8910.webp

#2-was this a broken point that was repurposed? The break doesn't look clean, looks reworked. 1 3/8" total length, 1 1/4" wide at top. bottom length is 3/4", width 5/8".

IMG_8911.webp IMG_8912.webp

#3-A scraper? It has been broken, all other edges look worked. Love the color! 2 1/2" wide, 1 5/8" long, about 1/2" thick.

IMG_8917.webp IMG_8916.webp IMG_8918.webp

#4-looks like it was a repurposed point, but the base broke off. Very similar to the one my husband found. 1" x 3/4".

IMG_8929.webp IMG_8927.webp

#5-What was it? Like the way it was worked, too bad it's broken. Width is 1 1/2"

IMG_8921.webp IMG_8923.webp IMG_8937.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yeah they look broken. #2 might be turned into a scraper but I would need to see the tip where it was broken. If the brown scraper is broken it doesnt look like much is broken off. They did make some of the scrapers flat on one side for hafting purposes at times. Ill show you one its kinda like a half moon shape. Its the lite color one. Some call them Cresent Knifes.
Still nice finds there should be a real good one close by.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3513.webp
    100_3513.webp
    119.8 KB · Views: 77
Nice pieces Heather. Love the color of the scraper and that stemmed piece is pretty sweet. It does look re-worked into a small scraper or something similar.
 
Hi HBrown. Nice day out!! The orange piece and the last one you have posted look similar to a piece that I found yesterday. Do you know what these are? I can't figure it out. I'm thinking hoes that broken and reworked, or just broken. The piece I found is bulkier than yours. Do you mind my posting it here for comparison?
 
Hi HBrown. Nice day out!! The orange piece and the last one you have posted look similar to a piece that I found yesterday. Do you know what these are? I can't figure it out. I'm thinking hoes that broken and reworked, or just broken. The piece I found is bulkier than yours. Do you mind my posting it here for comparison?

Please post so we can learn :)
 
Thanks!! You can see the bottom is worn smooth at an angle. Yours looks worn on the left hand side.

image-294507738.webp



image-2907894973.webp



image-2971438057.webp



image-1456023196.webp
 
Yeah they look broken. #2 might be turned into a scraper but I would need to see the tip where it was broken. If the brown scraper is broken it doesnt look like much is broken off. They did make some of the scrapers flat on one side for hafting purposes at times. Ill show you one its kinda like a half moon shape. Its the lite color one. Some call them Cresent Knifes.
Still nice finds there should be a real good one close by.

Does this help? Hope it's not the same pic!
IMG_8915.webp
 
#4 is certainly a repurposed point. I believe the base was broken after the original repurposing.

#2 also appears to be a repurposed point, though not quite as artfully done as #4.

Both of these are generally referred to as hafted scrapers.

Nice finds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom