Bronze Cupid Statue

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bronze statue in the trash. I think it's supposed to be cupid. It's pretty heavy, and when I shake it something rattles inside. Any idea how old it is or what it's worth? Or just how to find out either of those things?
IMG_20210603_184720.jpg IMG_20210603_184728.jpg IMG_20210603_184750.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would say don't clean it up. Second I would suggest taking a piece of paper and on the front it looks like there might be an Artist signature in the center front put the piece of paper over that area an take a pencil or a crayon and do a rubbing to see if it makes out a signature. Google how to do a leaf rubbing if your not familiar on how to do a rubbing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save from the trash pile Mr. Mole, it never ceases to amaze me the treasures folks consider to be trash. :BangHead:
As Steve mentioned, you need to have a look for an artist signature or a foundry mark on this piece.

It's most likely to be made of cast-brass that has been chemically 'patinated' to resemble bronze.
Date-wise, I would think 1930 - 50, unfortunately the value and collect-ability will depend on a makers mark.

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would say don't clean it up. Second I would suggest taking a piece of paper and on the front it looks like there might be am Artist signature in the center front put the piece of paper over that area an take a pencil or a crayon and do a rubbing to see if it makes out a signature. Google how to do a leaf rubbing if your not familiar on how to do a rubbing.

I didn't even see those markings, thank you. They are very hard to read. I tried rubbing and using flour, but I can still only barely read it. I think it might say "Liberty". It could also be something with an 18. Maybe made in '18, or the 1800s? It's very difficult to be sure.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of these around, variously described as cherubs or cupids and I think they’re all derived from work originally created by the French sculptor Charles-Gabriel Lemire (1741-1827). The posture of yours has the cherub about to draw an arrow from a quiver by his side, like this one:

Cherub1.jpg

It would have been one of a pair, with the other figure having the bow (often missing through breakage) like these:

Cherub2.jpg

Lemire bronzes have various signatures including Charles-Gabriel Lemire; Charles Gabriel Sauvage (with or without the word Lemire at the end); Charles G.S. Lemire; Charles Lemire; Sauvage Lemire and other permutations… as well as simply ‘Lemire’ on later imitations of his pieces produced long after his death. Authentic pieces usually have the signature in script, like this:

Lemire.jpg

I don’t see yours as an authentic Lemire piece and it could be from any of dozens of imitators (late 19th Century and into the 20th Century from France and elsewhere) who both cast copies from earlier pieces and produced their own stylistic variations on his original sculptures. I’m thinking yours is probably first half of the 20th Century and “after Lemire” but not a copy as such.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of these around, variously described as cherubs or cupids and I think they’re all derived from work originally created by the French sculptor Charles-Gabriel Lemire (1741-1827). The posture of yours has the cherub about to draw an arrow from a quiver by his side, like this one:

View attachment 1929717

It would have been one of a pair, with the other figure having the bow (often missing through breakage) like these:

View attachment 1929718

Lemire bronzes have various signatures including Charles-Gabriel Lemire; Charles Gabriel Sauvage (with or without the word Lemire at the end); Charles G.S. Lemire; Charles Lemire; Sauvage Lemire and other permutations… as well as simply ‘Lemire’ on later imitations of his pieces produced long after his death. Authentic pieces usually have the signature in script, like this:

View attachment 1929719

I don’t see yours as an authentic Lemire piece and it could be from any of dozens of imitators (late 19th Century and into the 20th Century from France and elsewhere) who both cast copies from earlier pieces and produced their own stylistic variations on his original sculptures. I’m thinking yours is probably first half of the 20th Century and “after Lemire” but not a copy as such.
That's a pretty solid ID. Maybe that word is "Lemire". I think I might get this appraised on saturday, just in case. Any idea what the rattling inside is?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty solid ID. Maybe that word is "Lemire". I think I might get this appraised on saturday, just in case. Any idea what the rattling inside is?

I would take the rattling to be an indication that this is not solid cast bronze. It's likely a metal shell on a non-metal interior that has a cavity within which something has cracked off as a result of being dropped. Often these kinds of figures are spelter (a low-melting zinc-lead alloy that patinates to look like bronze) on plaster or resin.

Always good to check but, if it just says 'Lemire', it won't be an original and the detailing plus the likely composition makes me sure it isn't.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<snip> (removed pics and some text)

It would have been one of a pair, with the other figure having the bow (often missing through breakage)

Great info as usual Red-Coat. I doubt that it matters, but I think the cherub/cupid in the pic is drawing an arrow from a quiver, as you said, but it appears to also be holding the bow. Maybe not part of a set then?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
<snip> (removed pics and some text)

Great info as usual Red-Coat. I doubt that it matters, but I think the cherub/cupid in the pic is drawing an arrow from a quiver, as you said, but it appears to also be holding the bow. Maybe not part of a set then?

Thanks. Yes, I didn't look closely enough to see the bow, so this might be a 'singleton'. One of many variations on a theme, drawing from Lemire's work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yes, I didn't look closely enough to see the bow, so this might be a 'singleton'. One of many variations on a theme, drawing from Lemire's work.

Seeing that picture of the two together convinced me that his must be a copy of them. I'll try to find out what is rattling inside next.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, as I'm pretty sure this is a repro and only worth the melt, I drilled a little hole in the bottom to see what the rattling was. A bunch of white sand/plaster type material came out and I was not able to find the source of the rattling. I found a little piece of what I think is melted zinc, so my guess is that there are bigger pieces of zinc inside.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread