What's new

Brooch help.

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone shed some light on this Brooch? Like when it was made? And who the figure might be? I am thinking late 1800's, but not sure, could be newer then that. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • br.webp
    br.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 338
Nice cameo brooch mainer :icon_thumright: Without an exact match it might be difficult to date it. I would guess early 1900's.
 
Upvote 0
This may sound odd but a picture of the reverse might be as helpful as the front.Often a brooch can be identified to period by its fastener/clasp.
 
Upvote 0
K will get a pic of the back up tomorrow. Also what material is the head made out of?
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
K will get a pic of the back up tomorrow. Also what material is the head made out of?

Difficult to say what the carved material is , typically seashells were used as well as more valuable material.The fastner might give us insight to era and country of origin,might be easier to guess the material then.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a pic of the back hope you can make it out.
 

Attachments

  • br 2.webp
    br 2.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0
It's a Victorian "cameo" brooch, and a nice one too! The carved intaglio lady is probably not a particular person since it is Victorian. There were notable historic cameos of famous people, but that was back during Roman times. Most cameos are made of agate or conch shells, and are considered semi-precious. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Everyone. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
This is a very nice find :icon_thumright: but it must be cleaned professionally. I would say yours is a shell and coral late Victorian cameo depicting Roman Goddess Ceres. She used to be a very popular lady on Victorian cameos and there are so many 'versions' of her. However her hairdo and classic attire are pretty much the same. But only an antique dealer can tell you for sure.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/2sistersjewels/item/2sjf-00337
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for that Tuatara. I'm not sure if it's worth having profesessionaly cleaned or not? I was shocked when I saw the price tag on the one's on that website. Pretty neat. Thanks for the website and the help. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Hi Mainer,

I'm not sure if it's worth of restoring it commercially. But some antique dealers can give you free advice. Just ask in advance if it will be free. Unfortunately, organic materials (like coral) deteriorate in the soil. I have the same problem with pearls on my undug jewellery. Keep us updated on it.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom