Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi. I dug this item yesterday when I was scouting high ground in the SC Lowcountry wilderness. I assume it to be a lady's brooch. Nothing else was found nearby so I'm guessing it was torn off while the owner was riding through the woods. 2.25 inches long and just over 1.5 tall, sheet brass with gilt. Centered is a deep blue colored glass setting.

Anyone recognize this or can positively ID how old it might be by design?

P.S. I added a shot of it after I cleaned it up with Aluminum Jelly. Love that stuff for brass that has a hint of gilt on it. Looks like the center had silver wash for a nice contrast design.

Attachments

• Broachface.jpg
    Broachface.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Broachback.jpg
    Broachback.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 52
  • brooch.jpg
    brooch.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug, that is a nice brooch. Until another TNetter responds w/ date range a couple things you can do (if you haven't done them already) are: 1) Search 100s of Google images for a similar style; 2) Examine the back for the type of clasp and bar. Then compare to those shown on https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Dating-brooch-fasteners. I did these 2 steps last month and successfully determined the date range of a star brooch.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking Victorian Etruscan revival. 1870's give or take a decade. Possibly later as yours appears to be costume jewelry attempting to imitate finer pieces that were popular.

Search Victorian Etruscan lapis brooch for similar style examples.

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread