Brother finds indians (thanks minton7!)

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
A few weeks ago, I told the story about my brother finding his first wheat cent. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,181751.msg1327919.html#msg1327919 He is handicapped, and loves to metal detect but has a hard time with it. A Tnet member minton7 read it and sent me a box with an indian, 2 buffs, 2 wheats, a coin magazine, some coin protectors, and a whites apron for my brother. What a great guy! I gave him the apron and magazine, but held onto the coins for his next hunt. That happened to be today.

The first time, I stuck the indian cent and inch or two in the ground and watched and kinda coaxed him over the spot, saying I had a good signal around that area before I found the one I was currently digging. I could tell when he found it. He was on his knees, and his elbows were bent with both hands holding a little something right in front of his face. All of a sudden, he let out a HOOT that would put Rick Flair to shame. (No, I don't watch wrestling, but somehow I know he does a loud hoot, lol). I asked "whatcha got?". He sat there....looking at it, his hand was shaking so bad I was almost concerned. He caught his breath and showed me. It was an indian head cent, just like the ones I was showing him right here on Tnet the night before. He put it in his wallet, and then decided in the ashtray in the truck was safer.

We hunted till a little after dark. He had been digging a pretty good while in the same spot. Finally, he pulled out a piece of powdery metal (zinc maybe), and concluded that was his "beep". He started shoving dirt back in the hole, so I knelt down the help. As I pushed dirt in, I pushed the buffalo in too. Then, I asked him if he rechecked the hole. That "oh yeah, I forgot" look came over his face, and he swept the coil again. Beep. So he goes scooping the dirt back out of his hole and grabs handful after handful, passing them across the coil until he gets his beep. He got the nickel in his hand, but apparently didn't know what it was. He was excited when he found out, and had me checking every little broken bit of trashy signal he could find near the hole, lol.

I still have the other coins. I'll space them out over the next few hunts. I never thought of it before, but it is actually helping him to learn how to focus and use his machine, find the target, and develop the drive to find a good signal. Thanks minton7. God bless you for being a great guy!

Attachments

• IMG_0901a.jpg
    IMG_0901a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0902a.jpg
    IMG_0902a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_0906a.jpg
    IMG_0906a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 932
Upvote 0
what a great story..... it made my year!!!!!!!!!!!! It is funny how that many times we get so caught up in our daily lives that we never really stop to enjoy the small thrills..... I have found countless IH's in my detecting time... but to hear about the reaction over one "planted" coin..... man that is what life is about... helping others.... making people smile....... great job cheese on taking so much time with your brother.. most people wouldnt do all that..... and congrats to him.... I know he will be finding more stuff soon :)

Randy

That rocks he will never forget that hunt either...

And Grats goes to minton7

Greg

Great story. There is nothing like the love of a brother.
Dman

Thanks for sharing a great story - was a pleasure to read this morning. It's excellent that you have your brother out "hunting" with you and the look on his face is truly priceless. Give him a big CONGRATS from all of us here... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Minton - nice job bud... :thumbsup:

Beautiful! I love it! :icon_sunny: Very nice gesture on your part, Minton! 8) And you're a wonderful brother Cheese! :)

GREAT story and priceless pictures!

Nana :wink:

Nice story,

This would be a great hobby for him to get into. Good luck to the both of you guys.

HH Jer

Thanks. I probably don't do as much with him as I should, but he enjoys every chance we do get to do something. We hunt arrowheads and stuff like that too. I can't take him with me on many of my hunts because his pinpointing and digging skills are atrocious. I take him to places where sloppy holes don't matter, like demo sites like this place was, and open lots. Sometimes I take him to the back part of an old park near here.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the story and post his finds so I could show him his picture was right here on Tnet. He thinks it's awesome that his picture is up here along with other folks pictures showing their treasure. He has now "joined the ranks". He told me "It's neat how people give us compliments so fast on there" LOL. He can't read much, so I read him paraphrased parts of the story that don't reveal the coins were planted. While I read, he studies each of your avatars, lol. He loves the one member with the goat with a huge photoshop smile...I think it's notgettingenny? Can't remember...but he busts out laughing every time it shows up in a topic I'm showing him. :tongue3:

Happy hunting y'all!

Please tell your brother that he had some "awesome finds" and if you guys are ever up in KY, both of you are welcome to hunt with us!

Good deed, Minton!

Cavers5

Metal detecting sure is a great hobby ~ and stories like this make it even greater! VERY COOL!!

Just like any hobby or skill, it takes a lot of time and effort to get good at doing it successfully ~ CONGRAT'S on making it to the next level of the hobby! Your finds are just gonna get better & better!

KEEP AT IT!!! HAVE FUN!!!

Neil

yes, if there were a Banner for friendship, brothers and family values this would be the cover story......thank you for the time you spent telling the story as I absolutely enjoyed reading it........my best wishes to all 3 people involved here, truly quality people.

HH all!

Greg

Just read this. Cheese your an awesome bro for doing what your doing. I have a relative with a handicap as well and getting to do things with him is the best feeling I can get. My hat's off to you.

Minton, great deed! You rock for your generosity!

This post is proof that there are still great people out there.

Good story. :thumbsup: Best of luck to you both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back