What's new

Brown Bess Short Land Pattern Musket Revolutionary War

smokeythecat

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
20,926
Reaction score
41,158
Golden Thread
10
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
10
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One upon a time ago I had a 2nd model Bess, but it had been converted to percussion and I eventually sold it.

At the big Gettysburg show this past weekend I was wandering around and someone I have known for years had this musket, and I looked at the tag, sat down and said "tell me about this."

It is a short land pattern musket, ca 1775 or so and it is in great shape. The wood has shrunken somewhat back from the lock, but after almost 250 years, that is to be expected.

What's so interesting about it is the engraving on the butt stock. It has the original owner's initials and "47" designating the 47th Regiment of Foot.

The 47th was in NJ at the beginning of the Revolution. They went to Boston, and were at Lexington and Concord. They later went to Montreal with Burgoyne and were in the campaign down Lake Champlain and the Hudson and surrendered at Saratoga.

They were POW's at York, PA, near Berryville, VA and Charlottesville, VA. They went home at the end of the war.

This gun would have been surrendered at Saratoga in 1777. There is an ancient crack in the stock, long repaired and someone, presumedly a patriot gunmaker, took a file to the Crown and GR on the lock and removed it and put an "X" over the spot.

Must not have liked the Brits. There's a lot of history here.

Happy 4th! DSCN0423.webpDSCN0424.webpDSCN0425.webpdeb gun show.webp
 
That's a bute.
 
And it hasn't been converted to percussion and back and otherwise messed with.
 
Awesome piece of history! :icon_thumleft:
 
Heck yes!
Great arm.
 
gotta love stuff like this, super awesome cool! To have some idea of the history of the gun is even more cool. history can be so rich with the awesome cool stuff
 
That is a pretty amazing historical Item! Thanks for the story!
 
I was first of all surprised to even see one, and then to find out I could afford it! Wow! Thanks guys.
 
You walked home with it?!!
 
I brought it home in that red Impala in the pic! Looks like the rammer is a Rev War American one the "new" owners used for it. Typical for the period.
 
Sweet! I'd love to own something like that. My most historical gun is a Garland from the Korean War...
 
I DO NOT have a gun collection. So this is special. I have an American sniper (Southern) rifle from the Revolution I inherited from him, and my burglar chaser. It's chased a couple off over the years, never had to fire it, I just stand outside and show it to them (yes, it's that big...12 gauge, 28" barrell). Scares the snot out of any living soul.
 
Nice old relic for sure, but I believe the lock has been replaced, not having had the British marks filed off. No way shrinkage would make the lock plate closer to the bottom of the inletted area than the top.
 
Nice old relic for sure, but I believe the lock has been replaced, not having had the British marks filed off. No way shrinkage would make the lock plate closer to the bottom of the inletted area than the top.

Well, if we are going to poke it with a stick.....
Not sure about the lock and mortise marriage, but looking at the hammer raises some geometry question.
The half moon groove worn behind (towards the butt) hints of the hammer/ tumbler relationship being a tad out of complete harmony. If so,the inside of the lockplate should also show a polished friction spot.

What makes me want to battle basement stairs to dig out a flinter is...IF the topjaw is on it's detent ,and a flint (even a padded one) padded in the jaws ;it looks like the flint would crash against the rear of the pan.
I'm not very good at deciphering from pictures though...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom