Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Y'all,
We all encounter some 'critters' while MD-ing. Do you think it is a Brown Recluse or one of the 'look-a-likes?' The Pine tree thingie measures 1 1/2 inches, so that will give you a general idea of the size. It has 3 eyes on each side.
Thanks in advance for checking out my creepy crawly.
:) Breezie

SpiderUnknown.jpg

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got bit by one about 40 years ago, didn't even know I had been bit for about two days, then I noticed
a red & black circle on my arm about the size of a dime. I showed to my wife and she says you better go
to the doctor and get it checked out, so I said o.k. i'll wait a couple days to see if it goes away. two days later
it was the size of quarter. ok time to go to the doctor. he says you have been bit by a brown recluse spider.
he gave me a dose pack that lasted 7 days. when the pills ran out, it was almost healed up. it took about
eight months to a year to go way. if you do bit it will never hurt, because it kills the skin, you can wash it,
pour alcohol on it, still no pain. if it gets into your blood stream, they it will kill you. be careful out there
and good hunting. thanks, marion, sorry its so long.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm NOT a fan of spiders, ticks, mosquitoes, biting flies, snakes and any or all of the critters I encounter when trying to MD. I think ticks scare me worse than spiders because of Lyme disease. My Mom had Lyme disease from a tick bite, and it affected her joints like arthritis.

When my daughter was in college on a field trip, she went through a 'web' of seed ticks. She had 100's on her. After a trip to the ER, the doctor said she needed to soak in a tub with Flea & Tick Shampoo for dogs! He said it was safe for humans since it was basically made from chrysanthemum flowers.

After reading everyone's post, I'm thinking this varmint must be a Wolf Spider/Wolf family.
Thanks again,
Breezie

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wolf spider has 8 not 6 eyes, jar it up take to
orkin or the like see what they think

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive known 1 person bit by recluse,young healthy, still a nasty
wound that took almost a yr to heal, its like the venom eats
the flesh, wound was 4in sorta round and 1 in deep, nasty nasty
the widow bite young healthy, saw doc all was good with in 2-3 wk

I got bit by a BR many years ago when I was a detecting a site where a house had been moved. Climbed up my pant leg and got me on the back of my calf. Started off looking like a pimple with a red ring around it with purple vein looking things going out from the center. It started rotting a hole in my leg that eventually got about 1/8" deep. Evidently, it didn't bite me too bad or it would have been a lot worse. Those things are very common here and they get into everything. I commonly find them in our storm cellar and storage building. I hate them.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many, Many years ago, I was catching Black Widows to sell to a college for research. I did some reading on the cute little critters. The most interesting facts was that 90% of Black Widow bites was on the tender flesh that is exposed while sitting in the outhouse. They recommended taking a torch of newspaper and flaming under the seat every few days.

Does anyone here still use an outhouse?? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like a dead and dried up Wolf Spider which looks like a big Brown recluse.
Fwi: never smash a live wolf spider, I found out the hard way, twice.

Why ? what happens ?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I squashed a spider that looked like a brown recluse once... Then spent an hour with a magnifying glass trying to figure out if was one.

To no avail... because it was only a blob and a few recognizable parts and legs to "study". heh

I sent it to the trash bin with the theory that the "legs had too many hairs" to be one.

The eyes... sheesh... trying to find the eyes... arrg... what eye I saw was staring back at me I swear.

BUT... I will say... for a moment I thought "next time I will use a glass and catch it"... THEN... reality set in with the following thought... "SCREW THAT".

So...

My motto is... "squash first... study after". heh

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Many, Many years ago, I was catching Black Widows to sell to a college for research.
Which university? My father is an arachnologist at UNH, well known in the small world of arachnologists. As a kid I had to help him collect spiders wherever we would go... but his research was primarily on the black and yellow garden spider (argiope). Meet Ed Tillinghast, UNH's Spider Man | UNH Today
He did occasionally have black widows, and once a student knocked over a cage that had a bajillion babies in it... they did a really thorough fumigation after that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm NOT a fan of spiders, ticks, mosquitoes, biting flies, snakes and any or all of the critters I encounter when trying to MD. I think ticks scare me worse than spiders because of Lyme disease. My Mom had Lyme disease from a tick bite, and it affected her joints like arthritis.

When my daughter was in college on a field trip, she went through a 'web' of seed ticks. She had 100's on her. After a trip to the ER, the doctor said she needed to soak in a tub with Flea & Tick Shampoo for dogs! He said it was safe for humans since it was basically made from chrysanthemum flowers.

After reading everyone's post, I'm thinking this varmint must be a Wolf Spider/Wolf family.
Thanks again,
Breezie

Yep!!! I know what seed ticks and chiggers are now!!!!! I've had both bad bad and could do without running into those ever again!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why ? what happens ?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I'm sure there are some videos about it on YouTube, but I found out before YouTube.
Anyway Wolf spiders carry their young rather than laying eggs. It looked like a million seed ticks, but way faster, going in every direction. Luckily the second time I was in my garage and had a can of carburetor cleaner to used as a flame thrower.

Upvote 0

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of ticks, I went to visit my sister and brother in law two summers ago in Wisconsin. I was strolling around in the woods behind their place daily, and those suckers were crawling on me at different intervals for the next few nights while I was in bed. My brother in law told me that you can take a bed sheet and drag it around on a rope through the grass and around the woods and they'll cling on once you pass over them with the sheet, then you toss it in the fire.
I said to him that is probably what he did, and instead of tossing the sheet into the fire, he made up my bed with it in the guest room that I stayed in.

Upvote 0

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a brown recluse

brown_recluse1-XL_AlexWild.jpg

as others have stated, the Brown Recluse only has 6 eyes, and of course, the fiddle on the back.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great. As I get bit on the end of the nose squinting to see if it has six or eight eyes.

Upvote 0

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.C. Brown Recluse. Your photo doesn't appear to be the same thing. I'm no expert though.
brown-recluse-spider-sized.jpg loxosceles-reclusa-16.jpg

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only ever saw one once in my entire life that looked like that. My friend and I were horrified! It must have had a very strong exoskeleton because while I was screaming for help, she had to stomp on it more than 3 times just to stop it from crawling and then a few times more to actually kill it, and she was a big girl! At least now I KNOW that neither one of us were hallucinating over the "prehistoric looking" spider that almost wouldn't die and when it finally did... It made a crunching sound like some kind of crustacean. :violent1:

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only ever saw one once in my entire life that looked like that. My friend and I were horrified! It must have had a very strong exoskeleton because while I was screaming for help, she had to stomp on it more than 3 times just to stop it from crawling and then a few times more to actually kill it, and she was a big girl! At least now I KNOW that neither one of us were hallucinating over the "prehistoric looking" spider that almost wouldn't die and when it finally did... It made a crunching sound like some kind of crustacean. :violent1:

Yes! And I can't recommend spraying one with bug spray either (don't ask).
All it does is antagonize the spider.

And now you have an angry, poisonous spider do deal with who probably wasn't too thrilled with your existence in the first place!

Upvote 0

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here still use an outhouse?? :dontknow:
Besides older pre 1920's homes my favorite places to detect are old country churches. Many no longer have services, some only the grounds where the church once stood and the cemetery, but all keep their grounds mowed.

Anyway many have an outhouse on the property with toilet paper in coffee cans on the seat.

Many times I've had to shut off my detector and beatfoot for the outhouse but I never set directly on the seat while doing my business.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread