What's new

Brutal

CopperRocket

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi Everyone,

I have been a big time lurker for a while, but recently decided to sign up. I have been saving copper pennies for about a year, but just bought my first 8 boxes of halves. My results: drum roll please.....

(1) '68 40%

That's right, only 1 keeper out of 8 ordered Brinks boxes! Needless to say I was very dissapointed. I live in a small town in middle of nowhere Ohio, so I thought I would have good luck, but no dice so far. So then I looked around and found a bank that does not use Brinks, and I have another 8 boxes coming next week. If I have the same luck from the next 8 I think I will stick to copper pennies, LOL!

Any advice from the veterans?
 
Upvote 0
CopperRocket said:
Hi Everyone,

I have been a big time lurker for a while, but recently decided to sign up. I have been saving copper pennies for about a year, but just bought my first 8 boxes of halves. My results: drum roll please.....

(1) '68 40%

That's right, only 1 keeper out of 8 ordered Brinks boxes! Needless to say I was very dissapointed. I live in a small town in middle of nowhere Ohio, so I thought I would have good luck, but no dice so far. So then I looked around and found a bank that does not use Brinks, and I have another 8 boxes coming next week. If I have the same luck from the next 8 I think I will stick to copper pennies, LOL!

Any advice from the veterans?

For the year this year I am 1 silver per every 8.3 boxes. So, you are exactly at my average for the year.

It may get better for you, since you are further east than I am, but it may not. If not, then you either keep going and get small returns, or you go back to copper.

Or ... you go back to coppper, and you ask for the rolled and loose halves every time you are in there for the pennies. That's where I score the best. They normally have zero (often) to $10 of halves, but it seems I get a good amount of silver overall from getting the hand rolled ones. And you don't have to go through all the skunk boxes. :-)
 
I am in western New York and out of 116 boxes I have opened exactly 50 of them have been skunks! Many of the boxes I get have only a few silvers (3 or less) in them so this hobby is not for the faint of heart and is not a huge money-making proposition either! However, it is a lot of fun!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
Well my record of skunks is 13 in a row. It's definitely frustrating where there's that many and so much time and gas invested in dumping them. Things did get better for me afterwards. I broke the streak with 1 40% in 2 boxes and I in 3 boxes this week got:

Box 1 - Skunk
Box 2 - 2002-S 90%er
Box 3 - 6 40%ers

When you do find something, it makes it worth it. I did score about $40 face worth of at least 40%ers last week from customer wrapped rolls. That's probably the best Kennedy half take I'd have all at once in years. Only one clad in the lot so I'm going to ask for them more often. I'll probably do it at a bank where I'm dumping zincolns. I usually don't mix up banks where I dump zincolns and halves.
 
CopperRocket,
You should not give up. A friend's sister-in-law is in Ohio and absolutely slays the sliver. She scores a lot more than I do.
Part of the trick is to "turn-over" the stock that the coin suppliers hold. Don't dump in your supply stream, take your dumps to a bank that uses a different coin servicer. You may be pulling from a supply that holds a lot of new coin. If you get the servicer to replenish the stock, you could see a big change in the quantity of silver and the composition of the boxes. I can tell with almost certainty when the bank's coin servicer has a new stock of coin. For example, you may see a lot more beat-up and worn casino coins in one batch, while another may have a lot of a specific year and mint (a year ago I was drawing almost solid boxes of 1996-P's -- that was a real bummer!). If you keep pulling on a single supplier and dumping with another you'll see a turn.
Hang in there.
Steve
 
Welcome and keep going. Not the big gains unless your in NE but its still there. I will say that some area's appear so dry that maybe you might want to weigh whether or not the time and energy for meager finds might be better to just buy a amount of silver each week. Especially if you have fees on top of your search efforts.

I also recommend reading through older post's, they have a lot of great info that will help a lot since your newer. Best of luck and keep at!
 
Where at in ohio are you.The brinks boxes are terrible all over ohio.If you can get garda boxes you might do ok but you will be getting all my dumps with them as well.I have gotten some nice garda boxes but no banks that get garda will order for me now .the one I had switched to brinks,If you are east of me there is a bigger choice the northwest is allmost all brinks though...gl
 
jonhls said:
Where at in ohio are you.The brinks boxes are terrible all over ohio.If you can get garda boxes you might do ok but you will be getting all my dumps with them as well.I have gotten some nice garda boxes but no banks that get garda will order for me now .the one I had switched to brinks,If you are east of me there is a bigger choice the northwest is allmost all brinks though...gl

I am in the northeast about an hour from cleveland...and I decided to move to another bank that does not use brinks. I saw some other posts on here saying that brinks was not so great. However, one guy's dream box was brinks, so who knows!

Steve L.- Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep trying and hopefully I will draw out all their current inventory and get into some of the good stuff.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom