Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is for ROOK.
When I was in the eighth grade, I was living in a trailer out in the sticks of Polk County Arkansas. My father was off in Viet Nam and we were living in the place that dad had quickly bought and moved us into while he was gone. The school that I was attending was very small, there was 28 in my class and I knew everyone and was related to several of them. About a quarter down the road from our house lived one of my class mates and a very good friend, Sam.

I had walked down to Sam's house one day just to have something to do. When I got there, there were quite a few younger kids already there. Sam and I were going to get away from the younger ones and we decided to go out to the old barn in the field behind the house. Barns were or could be a lot of fun for prowling around or climbing all over. As we neared the barbwire fence, Sam began warning me about Buckeye. I could see Buckeye way off eating grass and he looked like a small harmless pony to me. Sam assured me that Buckeye could bite the snot out of you and would even kick you if he could. Then Sam showed me a huge bruise on his arm that the pony had done a couple of days before. Okay, I already knew what a full sized horse could do to another horse or a person so I guessed that I would have to respect this little pony.

So we waited until the pony moved off far enough and then we made our move, slipping through the fence and running as fast as we could to the barn. Sure enough, Buckeye immediately came running for us but we made it inside and shut the door. Buckeye began patrolling the perimeter of the barn as we killed time climbing up into the barn. After about an hour, we had made our way up onto the hot tin roof and were sitting there as we planned our escape back to the house. Now Sam was a short stocky boy and was definitely slower than me, I was six feet tall and could run pretty good.

It was decided that I would wait for Buckeye to get to the other side of the barn and I would make a dash to the fence towards the far end. We figured that the pony would finally realize that I was making a run for it and come after me then slower Sam would run in a different direction while Buckeye was focused on me. Well, plans are plans but sometimes things just happen, like when I began sliding down off the roof of the barn. The good thing was that I hit in a softer spot and was able to get back up and take off running. Buckeye heard me hit the ground and came running around the barn. Sam, well Sam wasn't ready and didn't take off. I could hear those hooves hitting the ground as that pony closed the distance but the fence was just close enough that I was able to barely get through before he got there. I got up victorious, yeah I was bleeding from where the barbs got me and my pants but Buckeye didn't get me.

Then as the pony stomped around on the other side of the fence, I realized that Sam was still in the barn. There was no way that Sam was going to make it now so I had to figure out I was going to do. Meanwhile, Sam had yelled to me to help him and so reminded Buckeye that he was still there. So the pony was back to the barn to keep an eye on ole Sam. So, I knew what I had to do and crawled back under the fence and took off running away from the barn towards the other end of the fence. I looked back but Buckeye hadn't noticed me yet and so I yelled for Sam to wait until he came after me then run for the fence. Buckeye came running around the barn and straight for me so I took off as fast as I could. Again I could hear those hooves coming fast and I was now really worried as I dove a little early for the fence. I hit and scurried as fast as I could to get under that bottom barbed wire. Buckeye actually got my left shoe and jerked it off my foot as I got through to safety. I got up in time to see Sam get through the fence.

It was another hour before I got my slobbered shoe back but I got it. A couple weeks later, Sam told me that his mother had sold Buckeye. About ten years ago, a lady friend had a horse reach back and bite her breast, she was not happy at all about that.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story...so well told, I was reliving the experience through your experience! :occasion14:

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was growing up my Grandad had a small farm and my Dads pony still lived there, And Yes, its name Was Tony the Pony. He was a nice gentle little thing, loved attention and all that. One day a friend of mine was there and asked if he could ride him, I had never seen Tony with anyone on his back before, but said, sure go ahead. Well, that didn`t go well, I don`t think I have ever seen anyone fly that far before, luckily he wasn`t hurt, but we never ever tried to ride Tony again. Brings back memories, LOL

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story :) My aunt gave us kids a Shetland pony although we lived in Exeter, Missouti. We had plenty of grazing. That little rascal would buck every time we got on him but since our feet were touching the ground he wasn't hard to stay on. He just had too much pride to be ridden without protest.
Nothing like small town life, dirtlooter lol

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, loved it and was picturing it in my mind as I read it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread