Buckle buried in yard and other things

dignhistory

Aug 7, 2011
SE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The canning jar lid is a Boyd's Genuine Porcelain lined 4 cap. I found the cap under a tree at our community center which is not an old building. When I dug down the lid was under some roots so I knew it was something older. The Pepsi cap was found under an old tree close to the school, the seal had never been broken.

The items on the bottom row was dug at my old home place. The buckle was out in front of my house where I found the old other old iron items. So here is my question about the buckle, it is heavy and I think it is iron, what do you think or can you tell from the pictures?
Also the piece of pottery was in my front yard also. It is small but very pretty, I would have liked to have seen the whole piece. The place has always had pieces of pottery turn up but they were in the garden.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 845
  • buckle2.jpg
    buckle2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 766
  • buckle3.jpg
    buckle3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 897
  • buckle4.jpg
    buckle4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 764
  • buckle5.jpg
    buckle5.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 746
  • buckle6.jpg
    buckle6.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It all looks Okie-Dokie to me! I think that buckle is a utility roller buckle .. maybe off of a harness .. or something else.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds
..Did you make sure there wasnt any broken glass in the hole with that lid?...ya never know :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Great finds
..Did you make sure there wasn't any broken glass in the hole with that lid?...ya never know :thumbsup:

Or a some kids stash of coins might be a bit deeper down in what's left of the jar . . . you never know! :icon_scratch:

Nice buckle find and I've never seen a porcelain lined preserve lid before! :notworthy:

Dave

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find those lids ALL the time at old home sites... none have ever had a jar attached to it. :-(

Chukers

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I have had occasion to find 4 zinc lids, also, and never been so lucky to find a bottle and cache under it. Some day.......

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find those canning jar lids all the time. I've seen the porcelain pieces sell on ebay for around $10.

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dig lots of those lids. Boyds is a common one in the Shenandoah. Mason is too - obviously.
Ten bucks a lid? Wow.
Must I dig are cracked but man my yard has LOTS of 'em.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I didn't know about the $10 either. A few years back, the last time I messed with them, you could buy the rubber seals, and I did some "decorator" canning with old jars with zinc lids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread