Found this buckle yesterday. I have never seen one with this on it, and could use some help!!!! IT WAS NOT FOUND AT A CIVIL WAR CAMP.Ha -It could be railroad /or anything ....Thanks for the help....
I can't make out the center? Guessing here, but I think it might be a Uniform Rank's Buckle from the Knights of Phythia, making the buckle around 1878-1900.
Uniform Rank - U.R.- Knights of Pythias
Ran search U.R. Fraternal & came up with a few links. Text below is a good summation.
The Uniform Rank formed a semi-military parade corps for the Knights of Pythias. As stated by James R. Carnahan, early head of the UR, "It has been the purpose of those most deeply interested in the success of the Uniform Rank Knights of Pythias to make it the most thorough of any of the military branches of the fraternal societies in the United States, or in the world." To this end, and with consent, Carnahan adapted Upton's Infantry Tactics, then in use by the United States Army, for the UR. The Uniform Rank was drilled in the use of sword, axe and lance. On May 17, 1898, in connection with the war with Spain, "the Grand Lodge of California, tendered to the President of the United States a full regiment of volunteers to be composed of and officered by members of the Order." (Pythian History, Wm. Kennedy, p. 392.) Similarly, during World War I, the Supreme Lodge of the Knights of Pythias offered the "trained" militiamen of the Uniform Rank for military service.