What's new

Buckle Help

GANDOLF

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this at an old home site dating back to the late 1700's, original house was a log cabin. It is 2 7/8" by 2". Appears to be solid brass, but, I have never seen this type of back. Any help with type and age will be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0820.webp
    100_0820.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 263
OOPS! Forgot the back.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0820.webp
    100_0820.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_0820.webp
    100_0820.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
Three's a charm????
 

Attachments

  • 100_0821.webp
    100_0821.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • BuckleIndianWarsEagleF.webp
    BuckleIndianWarsEagleF.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
I think it looks more like design of Indian war era. Understand it's a pin badge and not a buckle. Check out this buckle:

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/cdv.htm


My first thought too, but notice the filled holes. Think the pin attachment could have been put on later. Are the CW ones different in design than the Indian wars era? The front I mean? Just a thought, I'm a novice at CW, just like Silver Searcher. ;D

Also, the one above looks heavier and better made.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
I think it looks more like design of Indian war era. Understand it's a pin badge and not a buckle. Check out this buckle:

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/cdv.htm


My first thought too, but notice the filled holes. Think the pin attachment could have been put on later. Are the CW ones different in design than the Indian wars era? The front I mean? Just a thought, I'm a novice at CW, just like Silver Searcher. ;D

Also, the one above looks heavier and better made.
Yes novice :thumbsup: we all have to start somewere :P you just have further to go than outhers :tongue3:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
I think it looks more like design of Indian war era. Understand it's a pin badge and not a buckle. Check out this buckle:

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/cdv.htm


My first thought too, but notice the filled holes. Think the pin attachment could have been put on later. Are the CW ones different in design than the Indian wars era? The front I mean? Just a thought, I'm a novice at CW, just like Silver Searcher. ;D

Also, the one above looks heavier and better made.
[/quote

The pin attachment could have been put on later. I don't have a plate book reference so my guess was based internet pics. I think it's close to this buckle, however the text somewhat confusing as far as a date goes :D Then again many buckles are referenced with date range 1851-

I'll await an 'expert' to chime in on this one :wink:

http://www.juliaauctions.com/auctions/archived/firearms/oct01/catalog/session_2a.htm
 

Attachments

  • pict0243.webp
    pict0243.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0
My thanks for everyone's input. I have been an avid follower of Treasure Net for about 12 years, but, this was my first attempt at posting pics. Now that I have found how easy it really is, look for pics of some of my better finds in the near future. Have to do something related to detecting since it's kinda tough detecting through 2 feet of snow!
 
Upvote 0
There are two circle on the back. Are they holes that have been filled? Look on the edge of the plate and see if it looks like a piece might have been cut off the edge. Your's look like it is cast brass and if civil war period would have a loop on one end. I think it should have had the loop because as far as I know all the buckles that had the bar in the back were stamped brass. I think the pin as put on later. I've attached pics of the front and back of a sabre belt plate I dug so you can see what I mean. Sabre belt plates were used from the 1850's up into the 1940's.
 

Attachments

  • sabre plate& sling buckle.webp
    sabre plate& sling buckle.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 190
  • sabre plate &sling buckle backs.webp
    sabre plate &sling buckle backs.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
I looked at it with a magnifying glass and cannot tell if anything has been cut off, it appears to have been cast just as it is. As for the holes, they are not filled. They also appear to be part of the casting, may be pour holes, although they seem a little deep for that. I suppose the pin could have been added at a later time. If this is a remanufactured piece, the person that did it was a real artisan. It sure looks like it was made the way we see it, originally.
 
Upvote 0
GANDOLF said:
I looked at it with a magnifying glass and cannot tell if anything has been cut off, it appears to have been cast just as it is. As for the holes, they are not filled. They also appear to be part of the casting, may be pour holes, although they seem a little deep for that. I suppose the pin could have been added at a later time. If this is a remanufactured piece, the person that did it was a real artisan. It sure looks like it was made the way we see it, originally.


Getting modified before going in the ground would make it appear original and the reason we bring up the holes is to suggest it's where another early attachment once was. (It makes the most sense, at least to me)
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
There are two circle on the back. Are they holes that have been filled? Look on the edge of the plate and see if it looks like a piece might have been cut off the edge. Your's look like it is cast brass and if civil war period would have a loop on one end. I think it should have had the loop because as far as I know all the buckles that had the bar in the back were stamped brass. I think the pin as put on later. I've attached pics of the front and back of a sabre belt plate I dug so you can see what I mean. Sabre belt plates were used from the 1850's up into the 1940's.
vayank54....do you think it could have been modified into another type of plate, like a shoulder belt plate :dontknow: I found a shoulder belt plate on line with a different design on, but it has a similar pin on the back :icon_scratch:


http://images.google.co.uk/images?h...eagle+belt+plate+images&sa=N&start=54&ndsp=18


SS
 
Upvote 0
It's possible that someone modified it to be a shoulder plate. It seems to me it would be heavy for that though. I really don't think the pin is orginal to the buckle, I've never seen a sabre belt plate with a pin on it and am not sure what to think of it. I do believe the buckle is either civil war or slightly after.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
GANDOLF said:
I looked at it with a magnifying glass and cannot tell if anything has been cut off, it appears to have been cast just as it is. As for the holes, they are not filled. They also appear to be part of the casting, may be pour holes, although they seem a little deep for that. I suppose the pin could have been added at a later time. If this is a remanufactured piece, the person that did it was a real artisan. It sure looks like it was made the way we see it, originally.


Getting modified before going in the ground would make it appear original and the reason we bring up the holes is to suggest it's where another early attachment once was. (It makes the most sense, at least to me)

Makes sense to me as well. This is a modified buckle plate.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom