What's new

Buckle or pin

Hiyama

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello I dont think this is the first time I have posted for help but the first in a few years. I was downtown bedford in Pennsylvania MD'ing with my boy for the first time in years and I dug this out of the ground in the backyard to a home that was dated early 1800's. When I dug it out it was what I believed to be just a junk buckle. It was severly tarnished so feel free to yell at me because I did everything I knew not too. I first decided to use a grinding bit from my dremel to scuff a spot on the back to see if it was brass. I thought it was so I set it down but then I picked it back up and tried to bend it. It bends fairly easy enough. So I was bored and drinkin a beer and broke out the brasso and cleaned it allot. The tarnish was very persistant and this is the end result.

I believe that it is in fact silver. The pictures are of poor quality. It does not shine a gold color in the sun but silver. It is all discolored with colors ranging from silver to gold that is probaly from the brasso. No marks on it it that I could find. "probally cleaned them away in my ignorance" The middle post does not seem to be of functional use. There was a pin that went across the back but it was broke and fell off when I dug it out of the hole. That I remember gave me the impression that it was junk and not a valuable alloy. I feel foolish about that. I forgot that even gold can look like junk in certain instances.

The pin clasp is just a open "C" catch with no safety latch. Some swirl designs on th front. The whole thing is not exactly uniform but gives me the impression of hand made.
 

Attachments

  • buckle 010.webp
    buckle 010.webp
    92.8 KB · Views: 200
Sorry I didnt know it would be so big. I resized them
 

Attachments

  • buckle 009.webp
    buckle 009.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
side view.
 

Attachments

  • buckle 006.webp
    buckle 006.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 0
Found it, it's a sash pin. Don't know how old or its metallic make up, but will find out when I get a metal test kit.
 

Attachments

  • example.webp
    example.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
Good ID. Its a pin that looks like a buckle.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom