What's new

Buckle, pewter cup, buttons, relics

JM1184

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2016
Messages
61
Reaction score
193
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_3290.webpRelics I found this morning.(same site I found the 1/2 Real last week)
A dandy shoe or knee buckle. (I think it's a shoe buckle) It's very detailed and I'm hoping to release some of the rust that it's encrusted by. There's so much iron in the ground here that even the non iron targets are rusty. Some buttons, pipe stems, a broken lead toy and a flattened pewter cup (no visible makers marks)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3284.webp
    IMG_3284.webp
    442.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3286.webp
    IMG_3286.webp
    113 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3273.webp
    IMG_3273.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3289.webp
    IMG_3289.webp
    533.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3291.webp
    IMG_3291.webp
    416.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3294.webp
    IMG_3294.webp
    454.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3295.webp
    IMG_3295.webp
    386 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3281.webp
    IMG_3281.webp
    1,014 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3296.webp
    IMG_3296.webp
    354.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Hi; PLEASE Post a picture of that buttons Obverse,(FACE), ok. I think it may be a GW Button based n the style of the Edge Scalloping and Center Line there. I think I can "vaguely" see lettering that entones the same lettering style of the GW Buttons ok. If YOU can make out any lettering please Post it and it's Position in the picture ok. Also if you noticed there are 13 stars on the Reverse of the Button as well. Nice Find. It may get better. PEACE:RONB
 
I posted the obverse, I'm investigating it now. Thanks!
 
I don't see any lettering, it's pretty crusty.
 
Hi; A good soak in Lemon juice and PUSH off the dirt with a wooden toothpick should bring out the details ok. I still think I'm on the right track on this one ok. PEACE:RONB
 
Nice early finds! Those pipe stems with large bores are by far the oldest of your recoveries, and look to date to the 1600s based on what I can see. I'd be interested in what those are for those 2 stem pieces, and you can check using drill bits. Please post that info if you can - thanks!
 
That's a very nice day! Please be real careful with that buckle. Do you plan on electrolysis? I found an iron buckle this spring and Brad (OutdoorAdv) was kind enough to preserve it for me.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480285129.093416.webp

Mine had a pewter wash atop it, but considering its age it came out amazing. Anyway, Brad is the nicest guy on the planet and could give you some tips if you're interested. Try giving him a PM.

Great stems too. It'll be nice to get an age range once you get those bore sizes.
 
Believe it or not the buckle frame itself isn't iron, i think it's some type of copper alloy, the inner forked part is iron. It was surrounded by iron in the ground so there's rust deposits all over it.
 
Thanks for the info, I'll try to get those measurements soon. They're definitely some of the thinnest stems I've found. The area is pretty old, Saratoga county, NY. As for the site they were found on, it dates to the Rev War era, but it's on an intersection of two very old roads, so the stems could be older. I would really like to sift at this place.
 
Thanks for the info, I'll try to get those measurements soon. They're definitely some of the thinnest stems I've found. The area is pretty old, Saratoga county, NY. As for the site they were found on, it dates to the Rev War era, but it's on an intersection of two very old roads, so the stems could be older. I would really like to sift at this place.

If you can locate a heavy debris field or probe out a trash pit, that would likely be a very productive spot to sift. I highly encourage you do that before the ground freezes. Good luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom