buckle

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm new to metal detecting. I found this buckle today. It was in the front yard of a house that dates back to the 1920's. There was more of the iron tounge when I first dug it. I was wondering how old it might be.

It looks identical to the one in timekillers post about the 16th century spoon mold.

I'm thinking about polishing it and putting it on a belt.

GEDC0316.jpg

Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
I want to first say welcome to Treasurenet and to the thrill of metal detecting.
I'm not sure about the buckle, it is a nice one. Maybe someone here might have a book on them and can tell you.
:icon_sunny: HH (Happy Hunting) in 2010 :icon_sunny:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Welcome to Tnet the buckle looks like a late 1800's early 1900's harness buckle.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The way the center bar is attached indicates it's later than civil war. We find a lot of this type around old house sites and farms. It more than likely went on a horse harness. One the right side of the pic you can see end is thinner, kind of notched in on the outside. That is where one end of the harness was wrapped and then stitched The notched out area is so the buckle would swing easier in the harness making it easier to get the other end of the harness in the buckle so it could be buckled.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
The way the center bar is attached indicates it's later than civil war. We find a lot of this type around old house sites and farms. It more than likely went on a horse harness. One the right side of the pic you can see end is thinner, kind of notched in on the outside. That is where one end of the harness was wrapped and then stitched The notched out area is so the buckle would swing easier in the harness making it easier to get the other end of the harness in the buckle so it could be buckled.

Agreed, circa 1900 Horse Tack Buckle.

As its worthless (historically/monetary), it would not harm it too polish it & make use of it. However, as a rule of thumb never do this to other finds.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, Red. :hello: Look forward to seeing those Alabama finds.

Nana :)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Welcome to t-net. This is a great place and congrats on your buckle. Buckles are great to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread